waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 06-11-2003, 12:58 AM

Default Help! 1s probs

I have a Fmax turbo kit with Aquamist 1s system installed. My car was running great untill recently I have noticed pinging on load. I believe that something might be wrong with the water injection system. If the nozzel is clogged what should i do to fix it? What else might be clogged.

I've been using a 70% H20, 10% standard OEM windshield stuff(that was in the reservoir already, 20% rubbing alcohol mixture. Would this kill the pump? What should i do to test the pump?

Also, how do you adjust the Boost Switch? Is it set at 10psi from factory? Im running 9 psi max boost...so technically my water injection has never been working? Im so confused.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:08 AM

That amount of rubbing alcohol could damage your pump - the parts are not compatible with isopropyl. The underlid when you open your system states that methanol is the only alcohol that it is compatible with and then only up to 50%.

The best way to test the pump is with a pressure gauge (like an oil or fuel pressure gauge that is compatible with water) or a flow meter.

Clockwise will increase the boost switch for the trigger engagement (higher psi), counter-clockwise will decrease the boost switch for trigger engagement (lower psi). I am thinking that the factory setting could be anywhere from 8-10 psi, but am not 100% confident on this.

If you are getting pinging something is amiss and you should avoid those loads until you can address it. Richard L is at SEMA but he should be able to answer more clearly when he returns.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:33 PM

thanks for the info.

In order to test the pump, how do i give the pump constant power so that it just flows water continuously without having it worry about boost pressure? I just want to see if it is flowing water, so i am gonna take out the jet and i want to hook it up to a 12v power source. I have the System 1s diagram with me here and i need to know where to splice in a power source.

Also, would I be able to hook up a DDS2 to my system 1s
Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 PM

If you are running 9 psi of boost, the pump has never come on because the pressure switch is set to 10 psi minimum. I suggest you screw the pressure adjuster almost all the way out. This will give you a turn-on at about 3 psi. Then disconnect the line from the jet and route it out side of the hood where you can see it. Take the car for a ride and get on boost. If you see water spray, the pump is working. Since the pump has probably never turned on, I doubt you have done any damage to it.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:21 AM

Yes that will test if flow is present under boost, but does not establish if it is to specifications. And provided the alcohol was not present in the pump damage is unlikely.

With the hose removed from the jet and the ignition on all you have to do is remove the grey wire from the boost switch and the pump should flow.

Yes a DDS2 may be connected to any aquamist system.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 AM

thank you for the replies and solutions guys. I am very happy that my pump is working now and that the jet is not clogged. I still dont know if it is activating under boost tho. Would the pump make a noise if it is activated under boost? It makes a loud noise when i tested to see if the pump is working... does the pump flow more water at higher boost? Like if i had it set to 5 psi, would it flow more water at 9 psi than at 5 psi ?

thanks guys
Old 07-11-2003, 05:52 AM

Without LEDs included in the circuitry the best way to determine when it is triggering is the method described by fperra. Pull the hose from the jet, leaving the jet in its tapped location (plug the jet), set the hose up to point at your windshield, drive under boost and see when the water sprays your windshield.

The 1s is an on/off system, it is the most basic implementation of water injection - simply put one would say it flows the same amount and pressure at all times. In actuality under boost it will flow slightly less as boost increases, since flow through the jet is based on the pressure differential. The increasing pressure of boost will decrease the flow but only slightly.

Over small ranges of boost like S/C experience that is fine. Over broader ranges like with a turbo, ideally you would like to see more water flowed as boost increases. Aquamist's other systems do that in various ways using a high speed valve to meter the flow of water.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:05 AM

Good information, thanks. Is there a way to 'upgrade' my 1s with one of these devices that controlls the water flow? What should I purchase?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:41 PM

It depends, are you using stock engine management or do you have a separate fuel controller that has an unused driver? Do you just want the variable flow or would you also like to have some system diagnostics?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:27 PM

Default IS to IIC

I would contact Brad Schaffner, the main US Aquamist representative, and ask about turning the IS into a IIC using a high speed valve. The IS spray is controlled by nozzle size only, with an adjustable onset threshold. Aquamist recommends smaller nozzle sizes with the IS save in racing conditions because there is no load proportional control over the volume and you could have too much water or too little water.

With the high speed valve, you can use larger nozzles safely, because the flow will follow the flow of the injectors and the flow of the injectors is load based. The high speed valve can be triggered off an existing injector or it can be powered by a separate driver. I belive Brad now has something that is much cheaper than the MF2 controller (which is really a programmable driver for up to four extra fuel injectors -- very capable but also very expensive and perhaps more than you need).

I, too, would like to learn more about this new relay/driver. Brad mentioned it to me about six months ago, but I have not been able to follow up on it. It sounds safer to me than simply piggybacking off an existing injector ground wire, though that may depend on the fuel injection ECU driver.

Philip Bradley