waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 26-04-2010, 03:31 AM

Default Gauge turning off for a little while?

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member of this forum and have just installed my HFS-3 meth/water kit on my evo 9 yesterday.

After burnzy helping me with the installing and tuning, its going great! Am really happy with it.

Just one thing however. When cruising at low rpms(between 2-4max) the gauge seems to shut off, with only the yellow WL LED on. It stays like this for a few seconds then goes back to normal.

I thought it would be a bad power connection but wouldn't the whole gauge shut off? Would it something to do the with the Water level sensor as I do have a twin tank system with baffles inside it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Moe
Old 26-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Gauge turning off for a little while?

If you unplug the level sensor from the harness, back at the pump relay, the system will think the tanks are full. This will tell you if it's an issue with the level probe.

If the level probe just bounces low for a few seconds, it will only illuminate the yellow light on the gauge but not turn it off. If the level probe is low for twenty seconds continuous, it will turn the system off and a key(IGN) cycyle will need to be done to reset the system and get it to come back on.

It sounds like an intermittent power source to the controller. The red wire to the injector sense wire, the red on the gray cable. You should check your grounds as well, as if these are not good you can also have issues.

Try the level probe first, but the symptoms sound power/ground related.
Old 27-04-2010, 04:17 PM

No worries, thanks for your help there Jeff.
At first we thought maybe the baffles in the tanks are hitting the level probe?

It does illuminate yellow only for say max 10seconds at the absolute most.
I just got home a few minutes ago and it was doing it quite a bit.

I've now got the red wire for power tapped into the power wire for the ecu. I just want to if the Black & the White ground wires, do they need to be seperately grounded? What I've done is twisted them together and put them on one terminal and grounded that.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Moee
Old 27-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Howerton Engineering

The two ground wires need to be separated otherwise you will induce a lot of noise into the system possibly causing erratic operation. The white and black should be completely separate all the way until a the grounding lug, at that point you can put them in the same lug. If you are tripping the failsafe the yellow light will come on for 4 seconds then go off unless it re-trips right away. Make sure your WL and WH are set properly.

Again, if you unplug the level probe it will eliminate that from the possible issues.

Make sure your ground terminal for the black and white wires is at 0 OHMS to the chassis or battery negative. Any floating issues will be picked up as noise.
Old 28-04-2010, 02:14 AM

I have the 2 ground wires running along side by side and then twisted together & crimped onto one lug. Should I run these wires away from each other and put seperate lugs on?

Yes it is coming on for roughly 4 seconds, but why would the failsafe trip and just cruising speed?

I'll double check the resistance from the chasis to the plug and see what OHMS its reading.

I have unpluged the float sensor but haven't driven around with it off to see if its the problem. Should the Yellow light come on straight away if I disconnect the float sensor?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Moe
Old 28-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Howerton Engineering

If the level sensor is unplugged, the system will think the water level is full. At this point the only reason for the yellow light to come on will be the failsafe.

The black and white wires can be run as you have them but check the resistance to ground.

How did you set the failsafes? What are the positions of the WL and WH?
Old 28-04-2010, 02:55 AM

Ok, I'll check the resistance today at work.

The WL arrow is pointing jus before 12 o'clock and the WH arrow is pointing just After 3 o'clock.
Old 28-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Howerton Engineering

That failsafe window sounds a bit narrow. How did you arrive at those settings?
Old 28-04-2010, 04:11 AM

Its what Burnzy has set for me.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Set the WL to 10 o'clock and let me know if it solved the problem.