waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > In Cylinder Effects

Old 27-07-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Water injection after combustion

I am intrigued by the concept of water injection but have yet not tried it. Most of the talk on this forum is about injection before combustion takes place, as a means of preventing detonation.

What about the effect of injecting water at very high pressure directly into a cylinder AFTER ignition has taken place, on the expansion stroke? What advantage, if any, would this provide?
Old 28-07-2005, 12:15 AM

The concept could be interesting, but, the mechanicals of injecting directly into the chamber wouldn't be easy. You might be able to modify a direct injection deisel setup to get the injectors and pump, but, lubrication etc will be an issue.
Old 19-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Not only is the concept of water injection, post ignition viable but it had caused some unexplainable results in my tests until I researched it further on this form and found the explanation of what happens to the fuel as it goes through combustion. (thanks, very usefull info.)

The fact that "HO" and "CO" dissasociation/bonding being aided in its' sequential/progresive conversion to CO2 and H2O by the presence of additional water in the combustion. I found it to cause an extream detonation explosion, sufficient to shatter the piston ring into many pieces on both of my test engines.

I have worked on this concept extensively by designing a system that does this (water injection post ignition) in a very simple way.
With the calorific content of a fuel with 1,400 btu /gallon it would have a potential to evaporate (turn to steam) of somewhere near 1 gallon of fuel: 15 gallons of water. In practical application this is expected to be at least 1:10 or evaporating 10 gallons to every gallon of fuel used in said engine.

The expectation is that this will not only increase fuel efficiency, but in condensing the steam out of the combustion products (to be stored and then re-used in this "closed loop steam cycle") will also scrub the combustion products of all water soluable pollution, much like acid rain absorbs them in falling through our atmosphere.

It has a potential application for both IC/transport engines as well as home heating/energy sourcing.

Further info is avalable at;
http://tawnybill.tripod.com/a2zeffic...hed/index.html

I hope this answers more questions than it raises. :?

Has anyone else done any work on this concept? :?

Reminding myself that;
"Any fool can make something simple, complex... it takes good engineering and true ingenuity to make the complex, simple......"

Cheers,
Willy.