waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 25-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
KnockLink is just a display thing (and a pretty ugly one at that!)
It doesn't retard or anything, just passively light up LEDs
Yes, it is ugly. I solved it as follows:

As soon as the red light comes on, I step off the throttle. Happends almost never, only during mapping.

Gert
Old 26-10-2005, 11:56 AM

I've seen a similar setup drilling holes in a A-pillar pod.
Looks neat the way you've done it.

It's good to resolder the LEDs anyway, some come with faulty connections, and the top ones never light up (would you believe, eh!?)

Mike, I didn't know about KnockBlock, cheers :smile:

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 27-10-2005, 12:39 AM

Thanks John.

Nice installation Gert. Very clean.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 PM

I have done lots of testing this year. I have some untuned figures to share.

http://www.geocities.com/sdminus/ind...?1151874216342

Scott
Old 02-07-2006, 10:58 PM

sdminus,
Nice wright up! If you happen to extend your test futher pleace keep us posted! I would love to see second round of test's with AFR and timing been ajusted to sute.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple
sdminus,
Nice wright up! If you happen to extend your test futher pleace keep us posted! I would love to see second round of test's with AFR and timing been ajusted to sute.
Thanks. I was unsure where to or not but decided to have a crack.

I have tuned for meth but not the other 2 yet. I may well try the 50:50 mix as it looks quite good on paper. I have transmission probs at the mo and also a strange occurance of the methanol jets getting clogged. This confused me slightly becasue methanol usually breaks stuff down. Any way back on topic.

I am happy to dispaly any info if it makes life easier. It is nice to be appreciated. Thanks

Scott
Old 07-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdminus
I have done lots of testing this year. I have some untuned figures to share.

http://www.geocities.com/sdminus/ind...?1151874216342

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for the write-up! Nice results.

What percentage of fuel are you injecting the water/methanol at?

-Craig
Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Peak petrol delivery at 100 IDC is 44GPH or 3400cc/1 they r=peak at about 85 ish idc

The water/meth and 50:50 runs was 100% @ 4 Gph or 252cc/1 at peak.

I have since retuned with meth @ 5.5GPH or 570cc/1 ish and achieved 340 WHP @305 RWTQ

I am going to re tune again but i am unsure what to do. I may try 50:50 with a higher percent mix of 515cc/1 or 8 GPH

or try and tune the one i didnt include in the graphs. nitro !

Scott
Old 15-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Scott

I have finally transferred your great write-up:

Water injection Study Models
This is a brief but concise documentation of the following water injection study carried out in March 06.

First of all let me explain why I decided to do the experiment.

After reading various forums and trying water injection within a controlled environment (A regional drag strip), I decided the best way to cut through some of the rumours, myths and facts surrounding various mixtures, and possible gains and losses associated with those mixtures.

From information gained on the Internet the general feeling was that injecting water or other chemicals into the intake tract would/could un-harness possible power gains for very little effort.

I used my own car for these tests, Mazda RX-7 FD3S twin turbo. The car itself is highly modified so was a stable platform from which to launch the test.

The data was captured using FC Datalogit software and analysed using Data log lab.

The water injection was the new Coolingmist vari-cool controller operating a multi nozzle system, one nozzle being at the throttle body and the other being just after the intercooler.

The tests were performed using the same fuel map and ignition maps on the same stretch of track, minutes apart. The fueling was set at 11:1 at peak torque which was considered safe for this tune at a boost level of 14.7 psi with a safe level of ignition advance.

The above power graph is the control for the test. 11:1 AFR @ 14.7 psi at peak tq. Air temps were 34 deg C at stand still dropping to 30 deg at 7000 RPM, peak knock was 33 @ 6000 RPM.

The above power graph is for water injection. Max flow was at full boost of 14.7 psi and was 4 GPH of water. The AFR?s seemed to be a touch richer on this run dipping from 11:1 to 10.8:1 in most of the full boost cells of the fuel map log (this seemed very odd with water not being a fuel and also displacing air). Air temps were a bit cooler at stand still 25 ?C and had a reduction at 6000 rpm to 19? (a drop of 6 ?C in a matter of seconds). Max knock was 33 at 6800 RPM

This power graph is 50:50 Methanol: Water. The flow rate was the same as the previous run.The AFR?s were again a touch richer than the control dipping to 10.5:1 in a high RPM cell but were generally between 11:1 and 10.8:1. The AFR?s do seem to be a little unstable with this mixture as compared to other runs. Air temps were back up again for this run to 31 deg standing and dropped to 27 deg at 6700 RPM. The knock peaked to 32 @ 6000 RPM.

This power graph is for Methanol. The flow rate is the same as the previous runs. The AFR?s were very rich on this run, which makes sense. A very cool 10.3:1 at its richest and barely coming out of the 10:1 range at all.

Air temp @ standstill was 28 ?C and dropped to 26 ?C as soon as the system started to run but lowered no further than this. Knock peaked at 31 at 4000 RPM but as a whole was extremely low whilst on boost.

The above table is a simple representation of the results from the runs. The results run in number order. Ie 1 being the best & 4 being the worst. I have highlighted the best as blue and the worst as red.

Methanol is the best overall mix in this test. But 50:50 mix seems to be superior.

N.B please note all of these results are on a untuned basis. There is still plenty of room for additional tuning and power gains over this tune. Once tuning has take place different mixtures may well take over as the top mixture. I predict there is around 50 hp more in most tunes. The hp figures were kept low intentionally to keep the tune safe due to other mixtures that were used in this test but not displayed in this document.

In brief different mixtures and chemicals will give different results. The data above is just the tip of the iceberg as far a tuning these chemicals goes. This data clearly shows that there is a very small margin for real performance gains without proper tuning, but also shows that a bit more safety can be achieved with a bit of thought into the mix.

I hope this info is useful and helps clear up some myths concerning this subject

Scott Bishop
Old 15-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Very nice Scott.
My own experience agrees with your results. That there are no significant power gains without leaning towards 12.5:1 and/or adjusting ignition and/or running more boost.

If everything stays on the 'safe-for-non-WI' side, then all you get is extra knock headroom. (which is not bad, but not exciting :wink: )

John

www.max-boost.co.uk