waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM

Default Weird cutting out issues, can I get my unit tested?

I should have posted this a year ago, but I didn't. I bought a b5 s4 that had a HFS-3 system in it and the PO had many issues over the years he had it, mostly due to install issues as best as I could tell (many pump failures from being under hood, poor wiring, etc)

During my troubleshooting I replaced the pump, repaired bad wiring and replaced the relay and had the system working ok. Once and awhile after a pull, when you would let off, the gauge would go dark, and then come right back on. It would also seem to do this sometimes during part throttle, when traction control would inadvertently kick in, this being more concerning since it would happen sometimes when actually spraying. Turning of the traction control seemed to help this.

Fast forward a couple months (it was winter and not much boosting was going on) and the system began cutting out, acting like it was low on fluid, (which it wasn't), engaging the Failsafe and not spraying. The big issue came when it would do this and the Failsafe would no longer activate and the car would attempt to high boost, despite no meth spray. Sometimes it would boost just for a second, then FS, other times it would just boost away as long as you held your foot in (which I didn't experiment with much for obvious reasons). At that time I was very frustrated because of the extreme hassle of troubleshooting with the way the kit was installed so I elected to remove it, have the car re-tuned to compensate, and wait until I was ready to actually go through it front to back. Now is that time!

I would like to have the controller and gauge tested to be sure that they are correct before buying all the parts needed to re-install the system (wiring, tubing, tank, etc). Original S/N 10093

I can upload pics of the controller unit if you need to see the board or whatever.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Weird cutting out issues, can I get my unit tested?

This is the first version of the HFS3, shipped in April 2010.

I believe this cut-out is to do with voltage fluctuation. Try relocate the red wire of the Molex connector to a stable location. This to do with the start-up timer. A voltage spike on the same red wire can trigger this.