waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 15-03-2006, 02:23 AM

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd add some results for intercooler spraying. Unfortunately, mine aren't as scientific or conclusive as others'.

When my '97 Eclipse GSX was still relatively stock, I re-routed one of the windshield washer nozzles to the front bumper, in front of the area where the side-mount intercooler sat (I removed the other nozzle, they didn't do me any good and left watermarks on my hood). I rewired the washer pump to a switch so that I could flick it on after I started a run. I was running stock everything except for a boost controller, intercooler piping, BOV, and an Injen intake.

With this setup I was able to achieve a 13.7 @ 96 mph with a 1.8 60-ft, at 15 psi. Before the sprayer I was rather stuck at low 14's, which is what people typically run with a setup that close to stock. The biggest problem with the side-mount was that it heat soaked very easily, and the spray really helped that. Other people had done tests with various fan setups but found them to be ineffective once the IC was heat-soaked.

So, while it's not really quantifying the benefit much, there was a good gain from spraying (I just used water) and for my setup it was really convenient and simple to setup. Personally, I'm going to switch to water injection only for my car, but for those with intercoolers, spraying can help.
Old 26-04-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Wi replacing IC....

Hi.
Im new here, too.....

Im not quite in the big-league, as some of you here seem to be: I have a MK1 Mr2 with an AE101 Levin S/C engine conversion (170hp) which I am running with no IC and WI.

My case is slightly different from most of yours as I have a mid-engine arrangement, so a front mounted IC is out of the question...
Our (small) IC's are mounted on top of the engine, so virtually anything will improve things greatly!

I chose to use a WI system and ditch the IC, and the difference is amazing!
Ive had it like this for a year now: Im only using water ATM, as I have an alloy tankl (and methanol and ALU dont like one another..!).
In getting approx 35 degrees C temp drop instantly: ive set it to come on at 70 degrees, but I have a digital controller and have yet to really tune it up.
Im fitting a W2A setup this summer, but I had a custom pipe made up to replace the IC (and mount the WI, temp sensor, boost pipe, etc).
When the work is finished, I'll be able to swap between W2A+WI or just WI, buy undoing 4 jubilee clips..!

As I said before, Im just a boy in the 8-10psi range but on our cars charge temp is a big problem as we have an inefficient Roots charger.......