waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Avoiding Disaster

Old 17-11-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Need help finding Pilot Valve for safety device

I am having trouble finding a company that makes a piloted solenoid valve for my application.

My plan is to make a boost decreasing device, triggered by a lack of pressure in the WI system.

The WI system will have a T that will connect to the pilot trigger on the valve. The valve will be *closed* when the pilot trigger has pressure from the WI. If pressure in the WI system falls then the valve will *open* and the boost controller will be bypassed allowing the max turbo boost to be that of the wastegate spring.

Simply, What I need in this valve:

1) the pilot trigger must accept 120psi of fluid
2) the valve must be normally open and close when the trigger has pressure applied
3) the fluid in the pilot must not interact with the other ports on the valve

Mac Valves has some good piloted valves that I have used before, but the ones I have used are for air only and have not been externally piloted.

Do any of you engineer guys have suggestions on a company that has a valve to fit these criteria?

It's been a long day, so if I didn't make myself clear here, please let me know and I will try to express myself better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Craig
Old 17-11-2005, 07:07 AM

Never heard the term "piloted solenoid valve" before.

It would seem all you need is a normally open 2port solenoid and a simple pressure switch to hold the solenoid closed when there is water pressure.

Please give us a link to the type of valve your refering to so we are sure we are talking about the same thing.

Larry
Old 17-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Hey Larry thanks for responding.

The valves that I am referring to are only mechanical with none of the electrical parts which are typically called "solenoids." Here is a link to the type of valve I am referring to: http://www.macvalves.com/Catalogs/CT/100.pdf

This particular valve doesn't handle fluids and the trigger port interacts with the other 2 ports (the water would get into the boost control vaccum lines). You can see on the second page of the .pdf the piping chart and how that all works.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, that I CAN use a normal electrical solenoid with a pressure switch. I am still interested in the pilot operated valves, as I think it would be simpler, but I need to find the right one. The electrical solenoid and pressure switch may be my 2nd option.

Cheers, Craig
Old 22-11-2005, 03:53 PM

if you have a clogged injector you will still have pressure, but no spray. how do you "run safe" with a clogged injector? would you also need a flow switch of some sort? sorry for the newb question, just doing some research and the one thing that bothers me is no "failsafe" for when wi has no flow/spray, weither it be clogged nozzel, no pressure, or for whatever reason i might not get a spray. i want wi for cooling summer intake temps here in houston and if i did not get the cooling effect i could be screwed.

jim