waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 28-02-2020, 05:32 AM

Default Pump not running, no power signal from controller to pump relay

I have a HFS3-v3.1 fitted to my SC track car but the aquamist has stopped working and I can't figure out why. It has been working faultlessly for the last few years, just with one problem of a blocked filter (not the aquamists fault). The kit worked great on the last trackday in October 19 but just noticed the water inj wasn't working, gauge was but bar chart didn't move.

On further investigation I found the pump not working. I've checked the pump relay but there is no power going to the coil of the relay. I've taken the cover off the aquamist controller and removed the jumper from the FAV and put it in SYM , which should run the pump but still no power to the relay coil.

The controller has power (2 lights on PCB, gauge s sign lit up) and the internal fuse has continuity. I've removed the relay and checked the wiring back to the pins on the board and again this has continuity, so wiring from the trunk cable is ok. There is no scorch marks on the PCB, so I'm at a loss ??

Would you have any ideas ?
Adam
Old 28-02-2020, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Pump not running, no power signal from controller to pump relay

Please see pics of board, front of board was before I removed FAV jumper and put it in the SYS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aqua3.jpg (166.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg aqua4.jpg (110.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 28-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

if you remove the "FAV" link, it will stop the FAV from working. Use the "PRK" jumper to link the "SYS".
Old 28-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

when SYS is linked, the blue wire on the pump harness will switch from 12V to 0V. Remove the relay for this test it is easier. Check this from chassis ground.
Old 29-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Thank you for your reply Richard,
I've just measured the coil contacts of the relay and they are both 12+ as you said, then I plug the jumper in and get the blue one going to 12-. So with the jumper in the pump starts and with the jumper in SYS and FAV in normal position pump goes on and FAV opens and flow is indicated on gauge, all good. But when it is returned to normal and engine started the pump isn't starting and measuring the blue wire on the coil side of the relay it stays at 12v+. There is a flashing green LED on the board, unsure what this is.

So the controller isn't putting the blue coil side down to ground. Is this because its not seeing a signal from the engine ? what is it looking for ? or should it just switch on when it is powered up ?

Please could you advice further checks ?

Regards
Adam
Old 29-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

green led means the system is receiving IDC signal. The pump will not start until the amber led is lit on the controller.

Further check:
Move the THRES to fully C-CW (left) and blip the throttle hard. Let me know if the amber led comes on.
Old 29-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Thanks Richard, I'm just on a plane going boarding, and am back on Friday, so will check on Saturday. I'm panicking a bit as my 1st track day this year is on 24th March, but hopefully I'll find the fault with your assistance.
Thanks again
Old 07-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Hi Richard,
I think I know what the issue is and I've created a load of work for no reason. It came to me last night that it could be the traction control causing the issue when static.
So this morning I disconnected it and wound the left adjuster fully C-CW and with a big blip, I got the amber light and dial working. Wound the adjuster back to 12 o Clock and it worked again. Switched engine off and connected traction control and it wouldn't work, but if adjuster moved fully C-CW again it would go amber.

The traction control works on measuring difference between wheels speeds using ABS sensors then cuts signal to injectors to control a spin. I think it also has a limit on it that if car is static and you rev it, it will cut injectors at about 3.5K.

At least I have a better understanding of the system, as long as it doesn't disappear from my tiny brain the next time I need to problem solve.

Please can you tell me what the THRES adjuster is for ? is this the point at which it injectors fuel in relation to engine speed ?

I feel really stupid that there was nothing wrong but usually I would take it for a drive as it used to be road legal but the more I drive it the more I want to keep it track focused and its not taxed or MOTd and with salt on the roads and a thrashing on the road would attract the wrong attention, blah blah blah.

Anyway we got there in the end and hopefully this post may help others. Thanks again for your helpful and speedy responses.

Regards
Adam