waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Does WI cause problems with Intake Air Temp sensors?

Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating away from AFM based engine management to a MAP based system; I'm planning on putting the intake air temp sensor either in, or just before, the throttle body; this would mean a distance of 12-18 inces between the WI jet and the IAT sensor.

Is this likely to pose any problem?

Thanks,
Jezz.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

This will depend on how you map the system, you must have some control over the effect of the air temp sensor. If you want to map the system based ion ther water passing the sensor, you have a good natural "failsafe" mechanism inbuild. Everytime the IAT goes above certain threshold due to lack of water, you can add fuel.

You have a choice - all depend on the capability of your new ECU . If you are using a piggy-back MAF to MAP converter such the MAFTpro, consult them.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks Richard, I've got an Apexi Power FC, which is a full ECU rather than a piggy back system.

TBH I'm not 100% sure what control I have over the IAT sensor as I've not installed it yet.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I search Google for some information of the power FC. It appeared to be a great piece of hardware.

Let me know once you have installed.
Old 30-08-2007, 10:53 AM

I am interested in this too, as I have done the same, only I am using a Motec M4 Pro, and have replaced the redundant 5th injector (cold start) with a AIT sensor which is probably only 6 inches from the WI jet. The car is being mapped without the WI on, and then the WI used as a safeguard as I am still using a top mounted chargecooler which can be prone to heatsoaking in traffic.
Old 21-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Alot of us in the MKIV supra camp relocate our AIT sensor to the IC piping right after the FMIC. We get a large fuel dump when Meth and water contact the sensor when located in the intake manifold. Relocating it to a dryer place seems to stabilize the readings. We also relocate it due to heat soak in the manifold.
Old 23-07-2009, 05:31 PM

What is a normal temperature drop to see at the AIT sensor when the water/methanol mixture is on versus off? I am running MegaSquirt with the MS2/Extra firmware, and if I recall correctly I can create a timing advance/retard curve based on AIT. So, one failsafe I could use is a significant timing retard if the AIT goes up dramatically. . .

Thanks!

Thad

P.S. Hi Richard, I'm back! :lol:
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Without a way ot adjusting timing or boost, would having the IAT sensor before or after the nozzle be better?