waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 29-05-2016, 09:22 AM

Default WMI for supercharged Audi S5 V8

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here but have been interested in WMI systems for a fair while now, just haven't ever taken the plunge to actually install one!

I've got a 2009 Audi S5 V8 that's been supercharged using a TVS1320 (same as OEM SC fitted to the 3.0L V6's in the S4/S5) and short of switching to a TVS1740, I've kind of hit a limit to the power I can make. The kit is an APR Stage III and to my knowledge, the tune is locked, although I can probably get a tuner to do a custom tune for me - haven't really looked into that yet. Upgrading to the TVS1740 is impossible without removing my kit and purchasing a complete 1740 kit which would be minimum $10k changeover.

The standard pulley sold with this kit ran about 7 psi, but I have moved to the smallest pulley sold for that SC which runs a peak of 9.5 psi and tapers off to about 8 psi by 7k. Obviously the SC is too small. The kit runs a water-air intercooler.

I have a feeling there's a problem with the car somewhere as it's seemingly running very rich - particularly under WOT - but that may be because the compression is 12.5:1. The trip computer's fuel economy calculations are a consistent 19% lower than what I calculate at the bowser. The spark plugs were also gummed up after about 10k of driving with the SC kit. Also looking at VCDS logs, it appears to be retarding ignition timing (i.e. the correctional value, not the actual timing) of -6 deg, and I've even seen -11.5 deg a couple of times. I've been told that this is how APR had to tune the car though, so I'm unsure if this is actually a problem. The car does seem to make fairly decent power - it made 246 awkw on a Mainline on 7 psi but I understand they should be making 260-270 awkw normally - again, due to the large number of factors when dynoing a car, this may not actually be a problem.

I've got a few questions about using WMI...

1. If I were to run a 50/50 water/meth mix, is it safe to use the windscreen washer bottle for the water tank?

2. Considering that APR locks the tune, but the compression is so high and the SC is clearly too small, would I see any useful benefits in power and/or fuel economy just from WMI without a tune?

3. What Aquamist kit should I use? And where should the nozzle(s) be placed? I don't want to spend a large amount of money and I don't want to modify the APR parts at all if possible. I'd prefer to use a single or maybe dual nozzle setup just after the throttle body which will mean blowing through the SC and the intercoolers.

4. Would blowing a 50/50 water/meth mix through the SC and intercoolers present any problems in terms of premature wear on the SC rotors or the intercoolers? The SC rotors are coated in carbon of some sort, and the intercoolers are integrated into the APR intake headers (a one piece system that houses the SC itself - the air is blown upwards and over either side, through the intercoolers and straight into the engine) - these are likely aluminium which I know doesn't like methanol, but with sufficient atomisation this shouldn't present a problem?

5. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for the help!