waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 20-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Issues with 2011 Speed 3 control.

Hello Aquamist,

I have a 2011 speed 3 in our shop and we have completed an HFS-4 install. We are using the d/i inputs for injector signal and the system manually tests okay.
The issues we are running into are that the system will not progressively ramp up pump operation linear with IDC. I cannot get it to start consistently and as soon as the system starts it quickly increases pump flow to 100% (according to flow guage, with guage adjusted to jet). I have to lower the threshold to about 10:00 to get the system to operate at all. I have cut the 1.0 jumper and soldered a link on 2.5 (per Jeff Howertons advice) and it changed the IDC reading but did not resolve the late start up quick ramp up issue.
I have tried adjusting the gain and the p/ir (set to IDC only) dials with no change. I have also reversed the d/i wires with the same results.
I did notice that your instructions for the 08 speed 3 used the standard injector reference rather than the d/i for IDC signal. Is that where I have gone wrong? I have yet to find a direct reference to an install on a 2011 or newer speed.

Thanks for any input,I'll post up results when we get this sorted and I'm done on the dyno. The speed made 412WHP on pump gas before the meth,so I'm excited to see where we end up.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 20-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Issues with 2011 Speed 3 control.

Nick,

This is mazda?

The pump always come on at 100% once triggered. The flow quantity of flow is controlled by PWM'ing an inline valve called FAV. It works exactly like the OE fuel injection systems.

The speed 3 uses DI injection. I think the 2011 s3's ecu is different from the Gen1. Check the wiring,

Please post an image of the solder link. I like to see it.
Old 20-09-2013, 10:12 PM

When I said 100% pump flow I meant 100% flow for the installed jet (windscreen testing) according to the gauge after manually testing and adjusting the sc setting on the gauge to read accurately, not 100% pump duty. Sorry if if sounded different.
Here is a pic of the board mod and a pic of my current settings. We have the correct injector wiring for the year (2011 Mazda speed 3) and even reversed the + and - to test for variances. Regardless of the way the DI +/- wires from the controller are hooked up the result is the same. The green light is blinking up and down with IPW the same as every other aquamist kit I have installed.
So far changing the DI +/- wiring and the jumper setting the unit has had no notable differences.
The issue stays the same, it turns on late (60% IDC acc to datalogs) and ramps up to 100% flow immediately (IDC Still around 65-70%). No linear increase. This is with the dial setting you see in the pic.
I'm stuck because I cant find any info on whether anyone has used the DI input of the standard IPW input on a 2011.
What issues could I cause by hooking up the standard - IPW signal like you show for the early mazda speeds?

Thanks,
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130920_124040.jpg (94.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20130920_124122.jpg (98.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by undergroundak; 20-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 20-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I have just posted the 2010 on speed 3 wiringf digram below:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=2197

Please use this wiring and let me know if it works.

We can then compare notes after this.

Richard
Old 21-09-2013, 12:30 AM

Okay, now I think we can get somewhere.
I need to mod the jumper at track A and wire into the fuel pump and map.
Why is the system monitoring fuel pressure?
This car is heavily modded and not running stock pumps.

THanks,
NIck
Old 21-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Since HFS4 is mirroring fuel flow, fuel rail pressure is an important input to bias the fuel duty cycle.

Not sure what you meant by mod jumper at track A?

What fuel pump does this car run?

Question: This car is not running the factory DI fuel injectors? If that is the case, do not use the "green harness" or "x2.5" or "fuel rail pressure".

If this car is using conventional 16ohm fuel injectors, use the red and green wire of "grey Harness".
Old 21-09-2013, 02:18 AM

-The injectors are stock but the fuel pumps are upgraded. Its running a Walbro in tank and A CPE cam pump.

-"mod jumper at track A" is the MPS? on the board from A to link 2

I'll try to complete the wiring this weekend and let you know.

THanks again!

Nick
Old 21-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Ah yes, "A" link has to be cut.

Solder link "2" to large pad. "A" means absolute, the unit is looking for 0-5V signal. More suitable for MAF type of sensors.

Linking "2" enables the unit to read a 2.5 bar MAP. sensor. A pdf version of the user manual is available to be downloaded on the HFS4 forum here:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=2168
Old 23-09-2013, 07:18 PM

I have a 3.5 bar bosch map. Can I just run the p/ir to IDC only?
I re-wired to the 2010 diagram (verified its exactly the same as 2011) and now the system will only activate erratically. The green light still blinks up and down with IDC.
Not sure if the erratic is due to the 3.5 bar map or if the board is failed due to not the issues thus far.
Looks like the customer was never shipped the above documentation for DI install. We were working with Howerton (whom he purchased the kit from) but were never given the proper info from the beginning. Could the board be damaged from wiring in without the map and fuel pump at the beginning?
Also I'm running a single 2.0 jet if that has any weight on the matter.
I'm running out of dry roads to test this on (snowed today) and cant afford to let it sit on the dyno while it gets sorted.

THanks,
Nick

Last edited by undergroundak; 23-09-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 23-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

If you have a 3.5bar MAP sensor, solder link 3 instead of 2.

The aquamist system is a universal system, it can read IDC signals on most platforms. The user manual has some generic information. Helpful to the installer. This system has been installed on a MZ3 for years. Non of our dealers are expected to supply a wiring diagram for every system sold to a specific car. I believe this is the responsibility of the shop that does the installation.

There are hundreds on models out there we do not have a wiring for. The purchaser should do some research into an appropriate shop to do the install. Good reason being the car owner will most probably have more resources than us.

Back to the topic in hand. The HFS4 should not behave erratically. The green will blink up and down with IDC this is normal. In order to confirm what the IDC reading is correct, link the FDC (fuel duty cycle) jumper. This hi-jacks the gauge to display IDC instead of water flow.

It is unlikely the board suffered damage from bad wiring but can happen. But it does appeared to be damaged from your description.

I cannot advise you what to do next as you are not prepared to test it on the road nor on the dyno.