waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Water/Methanol database on specific model of cars > Your one-stop search for water/methanol injected cars

Old 22-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWarner
Richard - I thought the threshold was between 3 and 5v. It takes 8 clicks to get the lowest voltage the WI triggers with.
For some unknown reason, I have lowered it. I think it could be because the unit can be used on the mappable system as well.

Eight clicks is about 3.5V. So there must be a window area of 0.3V depending on the RPM /load/gear vs boost (10psi). I think we are on the correct working area.

Richard
Old 22-01-2006, 05:26 PM

So at the moment the box is only taking readings from the car. I take it it is not changing any signals yet ? It looks really good by the way :wink: . The big problem with the zlet is the AMM, there always braking down ! Would the box be affected by an AMM break down ?
Old 22-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Correct, it is not making any changes yet - this will be setup on a rolling road.
Old 22-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Correct, it is not making any changes yet - this will be setup on a rolling road.
Any time soon ? I really hope it works well. Can you just explan how and why it will give more power ? I kind of got an idea but, might be wrong.
Old 22-01-2006, 07:12 PM

I think it is all in this thread Basically, turbo engines run rich underload as a safety measure. This keep the engine cooler as the excess fuel helps with cooling and I think with detonation too. The problem with this extra fuel is that it causes inefficient combustion, so you loose power. By removing the extra fuel under load, you get more power. The water injection then takes the place of the fuel and cools the engine and helps with detonation.
Old 22-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtal
Quote:
Any time soon ? I really hope it works well. Can you just explan how and why it will give more power ? I kind of got an idea but, might be wrong.
An engine is being over-fueled for the purpose of keep the incylinder temperature down to suppress detonation. This safety measure is often adpoted by the manufacturer as well as the aftermarket tuning industry.

Engine produces best fuel economy at afr 14.5:1 upwards, but also produced high combustion temperatures. Flames colours are often blue rather yellowish similar to setting up a bunsen burner.

Best power is generally obtained around 12.5:1 afr.
Best torque around 11.9 afr. Richer afr (cooler burn) enables the ignition timing be more advanced and hence more torque.

Due to warranty issues and reputations, tuners often tune the afr well below 12.5:1. the afr ranging between 10:1 top 11.5. almost as much as 20% extra fuel is being used to keep the engine running cooler.

For those who doesn't care about economy but just want to keep the engine safe should read on... Excess fuel burns with a yellowish and sooty flame. Over rich afr produces a great deal of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide only yields 30% power of carbon dioxide so your precious oxygen is being carry away as well as neat fuel out of your exhaust pipe.

The little unit basically tries to shift the rich afr towards something approaching 12.5:1 in presence of WI. Since onlyone part of water is being used to do the same job as injecting six times amount of fuel.

See the chart below: (only 3% w/f ratio is enough to reduce your fuel consumption at WOT by 20%)

The proposed unit has a certain amount of failsafe mechanism inbuilt. It constantly monitors the lambda value, if it drop below a preset point, it disables the MAF converter. Converter automatically switches on when WI is enabled. It can also trim the MAF voltage in relationship with the amount of water flow if a water flow sensor is used.

Who knows, if a car is equipped with a Wide band lambda sensor, you can preset your desired afr with this unit.

Cannot comment on the MAF sensor failure - it will depend on what output it gives after failure.

Richard
Old 22-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Mike,

I cannot make the dyno next week - just over booked my time table.

What about the mid-week following?

Richard
Old 22-01-2006, 08:21 PM

No problem, whenever is good for you.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:47 PM

Cheers for the explation. Its alot clearer now. good luck with the dyno, hope all go's well.
Old 26-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Richard, let me know when you have a date availalbe so that I can book the afternoon off. Cheers.