waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM

Default W/I results form the mountains of Colorado

I FINALLY made it out of the city over the holiday. Oo. Oo. More to point the wife threw me out for a couple of days, so to speak.

My trip was I-70 west out of Denver, over Eisenhower (6% and 7% grades for long stretches) to Silverthorn and then north another 50 miles to Gore Pass. The big test for me was Eisenhower.

I have the stage I kit from Snow Performance with 2 625ml nozzles, and a stage II variable controller set at 15psi for 50% and 22 for 100%, and running a mix of 25% meth. My Edge EZ stayed on at level 2.

On the way out I kept it at the speed limit (65) and kept the W/I turned off until the EGT's hit 1200. When it turned on I could see the boost gained about 4 psi, and watch the EGT's drop fairly quickly to 1000, then a gradual drop to 875/900. Now because I only have the 1/2 gallon tank still, once it hit the bottom end of the temp, I would turn it off and kick it back on again at 1200. On some of the shorter stretches, I left it on and it was neat to see the EGT's ramp up to 1250 as I laid into the throttle to hold the speed, then start coming back down.

STATS:
Westbound trip - 80 miles to Silverthorn
Speed - 55-65, depending on the speed limit
EGT's - peak at 1200, average cruising 900
Boost - 8psi cruising, 19psi climbing the grades
W/I mix used - 1/2 gallon in 80 miles with intermittent use.
ECT - peaked at 200*

Before I left for home I knew that the Eastbound trip was going to be a lot rougher, and I had a load. Kicking myself for not getting a larger reservoir by now, I took the extra bottle of windshield washer fluid that I had, shoved the feed hose down through the handle to keep it secure, and hung it off the passenger side battery where I had my 1/2 gallon bottle mounted. Not the best idea, but parts were at a minimum, and it beats stopping two or three times on the way up the hill to refill.

Now on the trip home I had a load of wood in the back. I would estimate the
weight at about 1000#, and one of the pieces killed my wind resistance (more to point made it worse).

The Eastbound trip over Eisenhower has only one spot that is about 100 yards long that it levels out, the rest of it is a 6% climb (I think, might be 7%), and I think it is about 5 miles. When you get on the highway out of Silverthorn you are climbing from the word go. Granted it is mostly a slight incline for a mile or two, but you are climbing none the less. I left my W/I on for the entire climb, and my boost only fell below 15 a couple of times, both to slow traffic.

Now I had the almost the same results going east that I did on the trip out. EGT's stayed between 900 and 1000, and the boost stayed in the 19 to 24psi range. Here is the interesting part. Using plain 'ol windshield washer fluid (methanol mix) I felt, I mean REALLY felt it when it kicked off. All 3 times. Twice when traffic slowed me down and I gradually let off the throttle. When the boost fell below 15psi, and the system turned off, it felt like I lost a fair chunk of power, and based off my last dyno run, about 40 HP and 90 TQ. The third time is when I ran out of fluid about a 1/2 mile from the top :{ . Now it got spooky. I'm still running 65 mph in 6th gear, I'm near the top where there is NO AIR and I am watching my EGT's heading for that 1300 mark. When it ran out it jumped to 1200 and then slowed it's climb. I knew the speed limit dropped to 50 at the top, so I planed on keeping it in 6th until I hit the 1300, then I would drop into 5th and hope.

Now this is a bit off subject. All the reading that I have done on the TDR and on other sites state quite clearly that when pulling hills, you need to downshift before the top and keep the rpm's and EGT's up there a bit so your turbo does not cool down too quickly. I hit 1300 right when the speed changed to 50, downshifted to 5th, then fourth, third, second, stop. For whatever reason, they (Eisenhower DOT) had traffic stopped for Eastbound. Now I had been in the 1200 range for at least a minute, and above 1000 for the last 3. The only thing I knew to do to keep some heat in the exhaust is to hit the exhaust brake. When I turned it on, my EGTs were at 800 and falling. It climbed back to 900, and then gradually dropped from there. We were stopped for about 5 minutes, and by the time they let us go, it was just hitting the 600 mark.

STATS:
Eastbound trip - 80 miles Silverthorn to Denver
Speed - 55-65, depending on the speed limit
EGT's - peak at 1300, average cruising 950
Boost - 8psi cruising, 24psi climbing the grades
W/I mix used - 1 1/2 gallon in 80 miles.
ECT - peaked at 200*

What have I learned?

1. I have EGT issues that need to be addressed before I start pulling really heavy loads in the mountains. I still have plenty of power, but I shudder to think what will happen if I have a 10k trailer behind me. I may still be that poor schmuck in the right lane doing 20mph over the passes. Could be the gauge is reading high. Probably is the power combination that I have with a stock turbo, and stock exhaust minus the muffler. The exhaust brake is a 4", but I am sure it is adding a little back pressure.
2. Using W/I for EGT control, I need more than 1 gallon. I used another 1/2 gallon on a couple of other hills before I got to Denver. For a trip from Denver to say, Glenwood Springs (200ish miles) where it mostly flattens out, with a modest load, I would need at least 4 gallons.
3. I need to go down one step on one of my nozzles. I did feel a few points where it felt like missing on the way up Eisenhower. Too much water, not enough air. Maybe a larger turbo will cure that.
4. W/I WORKS! I was complaining when I first got the kit that I was seeing an EGT increase, where everyone else saw a drop. The problem was my right foot. I never really had a chance to sit and hold 20 psi boost and see what the EGT's did. I do know that my EGT's climb faster at WOT with the system on, but I know now it does peak and come back down.

02 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, 3:54, 4x4, AFE Intake, US-Gear SD E-brake, PIF-EZ, PIF-Snow Performance W/M injection, Stage II fuel injectors

Will work for a hybrid turbo!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Good write-up!

You may want to try a 50/50 mix of methanol/distilled water and see what that does. I have found the best effects with that mix.

-Craig
Old 08-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Good info

Good info, and details!

Just don't get carried away with the methanol. From what I've read the diesels "REALLY LIKE METHANOL" but it creates high cylinder pressures and guys that kept tipping the can ended up blowing head gaskets.

Of course they had a big smile on their face when it happened but I wouldn't go above 50% without consideration of that issue.

Larry
Old 09-09-2004, 01:40 AM

Thanks guys.

The First and Second gen Dodge Cummins mix (1993-2002) get a bit over timed with over 50% meth in the mix. The thid gens (2003 & current) seem to do OK on the 75% mix. They (Dailmer Chrysler) retarded the timing to be 50 state leagle with the emissions.

My experience with a 50% mix give's plenty of power, but only about 1/2 of the EGT cooling ability, which is what I am pushing for.

Once I get a larger bottle (8 gallons or more) will make another tirp up there and load up with some granite. That should put my payload around 2500#+. My trailer has a broken axle, so I can't bump that up to 5k. Hybrid turbo and a 4" exhaust and I'll have no worries.

02 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, 3:54, 4x4, AFE Intake, US-Gear SD E-brake, PIF-EZ, PIF-Snow Performance W/M injection, Stage II fuel injectors

Will work for a hybrid turbo!