waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 14-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Injecting prior to turbo comp' impellers

Interestingly the extra injector didn't make a lot of difference...I expected in the region of 5-10c drop now we are injecting around 1350cc per min but it was more like 0c-1c. The system is not leaking and I am still wondering why we did not see a more significant decrease , could it be that no more methanol can evaporate into the airstream and I either need to increase water content or add another chemical into the mix?

I believe that 250cc is about the maximum amount of water I can inject into a 2.0 engine at this boost pressure..whenever I have tried to inject beyond that figure on this engine it has bogged or misfired so with a 10-15% water content in the tank on this run it would seem I am almost at that limit already

On a much longer run than normal on a 20c daytime blast we saw temps in the low 40's at high rpm and at one point just as I came off of the throttle a split second before I changed gear temps hit over 70c which again is not something I expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Maybe stick a thermocouple into the intake manifold close to the intake valve, so hopefully any state changes have already occurred by then so may give a better picture of actual charge temp ?
Yes I may try this!

Last edited by T.F.S.; 14-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 14-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Maybe try something like a methanol/ethanol/water mix? Would be good to see some data on adding another chemical once you have possibly reached near saturation with the others
Old 14-07-2012, 09:30 PM

I have been told that I would need to inject far more than I am to hit saturation on the meth but I may introduce another chemical anyhow and see what happens...it may just be that the 4c increase in ambient from the last run accounts for ther missing temp decrease

I plan to do another midnight run later tonight to test that theory.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:11 AM

No real updates this week due to the progressive controller failing again...
https://www.alcohol-injection.com/fo...lers-3568.html

I had some time to fit the new pre compressor mount

Also the blades on the compressor are still suffering from wear..

Just waiting for a Coolingmist progressive controller to arrive so we can continue with the thread
Old 26-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Another change to the pre compressor injection point and I have a feeling it may not be the last, the nozzle has been brought forward just over 1.5 inches..it is now within 5mm of the compressor nut, maybe this is too close for comfort?

Another change to the pre compressor injection point after noticing the wear on the compressor in the previous post and I have a feeling it may not be the last, the nozzle has been brought forward just over 1.5 inches..it is now within 5mm of the compressor nut, maybe this is too close for comfort?

It's not easy to strike a good medium with the injector placement...I think the previous nozzle position may have allowed the WM mix to hit the sides of the turbo inlet and pool into larger droplets which have damaged the blades as they have impacted, I dont know what is the best distance from the compressor but after rigging a very basic test I believe it to be 8-12mm away from the compressor thread/nut

Well I have a 3071 core sitting around due to a rough bearing, it's not easy to hold the injector and work out an exact distance for the best placement so I took a video to watch back afterwards.
Now as crap as this vid is it would seem that the best placement would be 8-12mm away from the compressor nut would you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH9wb...layer_embedded
Old 26-07-2012, 10:44 PM

A good 25mm or so away looks better. But then what it looks like static, and what will be happening with the compressor spinning will be very different
I'd still recommend using the Aquamist jets for this. They are just so much neater, and would be impossible for it to unscrew.

Was there no damage at all to your compressor before you started this ?
Old 27-07-2012, 08:40 AM

The turbo was new a few months ago so no prior damage...I have another picture to add to an earlier post so you can see the damage progress.

I have wondered what is happening to the spray pattern on boost...does it try to narrow the beam so it hits the nut or does it direct it to the beginnings of the blades?...looking at impact tests on jet turbines it would *seem that it is directed towards the beginning of the blades, with this in mind a shorter distance may be better.

We can only try to find out, I'll take a pic of the compressor every month and update, lets get some hard data on this.
Old 27-07-2012, 02:09 PM

It may be worth you exchanging a few PMs with riceracing, he may be able to help you with pre turbo nozzle selection and positioning. He has done a lot of custom work to his nozzles and setup and hadn't experienced any wear.
Old 27-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Peter has been very clear about how he achieved his set up, we have regular pm exchanges, discussing the WI applications.

I may need to drop a few other projects so I can spend more time on the air-assisted pre-turbo nozzles. I have a few ideas how to achieve it but haven't had time to build prototype nozzles and the associated flow control mechanism.

This weekend may be good to further the project.
Old 27-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

TFS,

Depending on the spray angle of the jet, you may not need to have the jet too close to the compressor nut. If it hits the compressor nut, the spray pattern can be very unpredictable.

You really need to find out the spray angle before deciding on the nozzle distance.