waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 30-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Re: HFS-3 not spraying ::mystery solved::

I remembered the flow bar had 10 bars and not 8 so I'd say it must've been 6-7 bars what it showed before the flow was reduced and failsafe activated.

I red the manual but as english isn't my native language I don't quite understand how do I "calibrate" the WL and WH. It says in the manual "once SC is calibrated" I can set the WL and WH but I have tried those in different positions and it doesn't seem to make any difference?? Does WL mean too little water is flowing and WH mean too much water is flowing and the "B" lit up ?

Richard can you simplify to me how do I adjust the WL and WH? At the moment the WL is between 11-12 o'clock and WH is 1 o'clock. SC is adjusted to 2 o'clock if it matters. I have dual nozzle 0.9mm and 1.0mm.

I think I should take a video to show how the gauge behave because it's difficult for me to explain it in words.

Last edited by Arthurwiljami; 30-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I will list our the steps below:

1. At full power, adjust the SC until the gauge read 5-6 bars.
2. Set WL 5 clicks from fully counterclockwise onward.
3. Set WH 5 cliock form fully clockwise.

Now the failsafe window is quite wide.

4. Run the car at WOT again, make sure the "B" led stays on and does not trip the yellow "failsafe" led.
5. Slowly advancing the WL clockwise until it trips the yellow led, back off two click and leave it alone.
6. At wot, slowly adjust the WH counterclockwise until it trips the yellow led. 2-clicks clockwise and leave it alone.

7. You have now successfully set up the failsafe.
8. Remind me, is you car Super or Turbo charged?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Got to do a little research today but no progress solving the failsafe issue. Here's a short clip (I know the cameraman suck!) where you can see that when it starts spraying the failsafe activates right after. I turned the WL fully counterclockwise and WH fully clockwise and the "B" still light up.??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2qB...ature=youtu.be

At WOT (don't have a good clip to post) run I only had 2-3 bars and after the pull it peaked 4 bars so its a lot less what it was before (SC is at klock 1 and was ~2 before but shouldn't effect that much if it was 6-7 bars before).

I did a system test by pulling a 4mm hose off after FAV and it sprayed very well. It took only a few seconds to spray roughly 100ml.

So the question is:
1. Why the failsafe activates so early
2. why I only see 2-3 bars when the system test sprayed good.

1. I have Check engine light ON in the instrument cluster but I remember reading somewhere it shouldn't effect unless the system was installed to take it into account?? (when writing this post I checked and if the jumper is in DR0 = failsafe is activated if CEL on ON), DR1 = no failsafe if CEL is ON I have the jumper in DR0.
2. I could check is there blockage in the nozzle

Need to clear the CEL light and go for a new test run.

edit: 8. Car is turbocharged.
edit 2:When flow tested the system with the "SYS" jumper the gauge showed all 8 bars

Last edited by Arthurwiljami; 02-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Checked today the nozzles and both had good spray pattern so no problems there. On the road I got more bars on the gauge. Not sure why I only got 2-3 bars yesterday but maybe I just didn't pull high rpm enough and SC was set lower??? As you can see on the clip it peaks at 7 bars but the bars come with a little delay (and are a little inconsistent during the pull) and not sure is it supposed to do so as what I've seen on a few videos on youtube and the bars comes immediately as the system activates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIvApnYWXUw

On the video it looks that the w.injection led shuts down after a few seconds

Cleared the CEL light but it didn't fix the failsafe issue. The "B" led is still on even when the WL and WH is set to min and max.

Any thoughts how the system is working..? What is the next step to solve the failsafe issue?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I just remembered... siily me.

I have someone with any aquamist system in Canada, without exception, every winter, the system reads low.

Here is the link, this may be the same thing your are experiencing:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...cosity&page=67

just a snippet across a few posts. The discussion is about ice forming at the tip of the nozzle during spray.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM

The nasioc forum is under maintenance at the moment but I'll look at it when it opens.

But don't think I have issues with nozzles. I've had the car in warm garage and I'm using 50% W/M so shouldn't form ice at the tip of the nozzle during spray as the parts of the system isn't getting that cold.

Can you tell buy looking at the video how the system is working or how it should work differently?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I have just watch the video, it is difficult to see when the two leds coming on. By the way, sounds like a great deal of power on tap.

Can you confirm both led is yellow. If this is the case, you have the latest v11 gauge where the function of the top led has changed to "failsafe" activation instead of staying on full time when the system is turned on.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I have just watch the video, it is difficult to see when the two leds coming on. By the way, sounds like a great deal of power on tap.
Thanks, I'm running just a base map with ~22psi. Can't wait to run 30psi

1. The yellow w.injection led light up first (as an indication system activation?)
2. yellow water level led light up right after.
3. w. injection led goes out after a few seconds during pull.
4. A few seconds after pull the water level led goes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Can you confirm both led is yellow. If this is the case, you have the latest v11 gauge where the function of the top led has changed to "failsafe" activation instead of staying on full time when the system is turned on.
So yes both leds are yellow. The water level led looks green'ish' when its not on.
It seem I have the latest v11 gauge so what are the functions for the w.injection and water level led. Do you have updated manual for v11 version?

edit:
I've used the HFS3v1w1 manual but I just found 2 newer version and the HFS3v2.13w is for v11. Is that the correct for me?

Last edited by Arthurwiljami; 04-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

My replies in Blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwiljami View Post
Thanks, I'm running just a base map with ~22psi. Can't wait to run 30psi

1. The yellow w.injection led light up first (as an indication system activation?)
No, it is an indication of the failsafe activation

2. yellow water level led light up right after.
When both yellow leds light up, it is a failsafe activatiuon and not tank level low. Expect a slight delay between them coming on.

3. w. injection led goes out after a few seconds during pull.
This shows the failsafe is triggered by the WL adjustment too high or the failsafe delay is not long enough (clockwise on "FS-DL" trimmer in controller). You might also like to up the trigger point a bit (Threshold trimmer)

4. A few seconds after pull the water level led goes out.
Once fasialfe is triggered, there is a reset period of ~3 seconds

So yes both leds are yellow. The water level led looks green'ish' when its not on.
The green shade is due to the backlit led intruding into the yellow led. The v12 gauge has a vinyl sleeve covering the entre length of the led to avoid light contamination.

It seem I have the latest v11 gauge so what are the functions for the w.injection and water level led. Do you have updated manual for v11 version?
You can doneload a more up to date version from our site, it appears that you have already done so. Basically, the updated version is what I just posted above.
edit:
I've used the HFS3v1w1 manual but I just found 2 newer version and the HFS3v2.13w is for v11. Is that the correct for me?
You will find the new gauge version mentioned on the "content" page in the user manual. Yes, that manual is good for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Finally got the car running with a little wastegate duty cycle and the roads are not icy anymore. Only thing I've adjusted since last time is I turned the threshold from klock 9 to 10 so it would trigger the spray later AND IT WORKS WL/WH is still in end positions but the main thing is the system is working.

I'm not sure what was the trigger that activated the failsafe before. Basically it activated before it even got to start spraying so I quess it was just spraying too early even the IDC wasn't that low.??

I want to thank you Richard for all the support you've given. The whole installation/adjustment has been full of mysteries and things have worked the way they shouldn't or just differently compared to other Audi S4's and this made it more than challenging.

Hopefully this thread isn't going to be re-reopened

Thanks