waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 28-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Injecting prior to turbo comp' impellers

Hi Guys

Interesting thread..

I have an MR2 turbo...it runs no intercooler for one reason or another..

At present it has a red 0.7 and a green 0.5 jet on the old style aquamist pump...50/50 ethanol/H20 triggered at 6psi.

Engine is bone stock rev2, it runs 20psi boost on a GT3071R with a link G4 ECU on 880cc injectors at around 60% DC, present power is around 350bhp/350lbft

It has been mapped with the methanol/H20 and also runs 95 octane fuel..very happy with the amount of timing advance we could get from the motor with it setup like this, when we mapped the car I still had the small sidemount intercooler and temps with a single 0.7mm jet was fine and even on an ambient 25c day after 1 hour of repeated mapping runs on the motorway we never saw over 35c degrees

As mentioned the intercooler has now been removed and even with the addition of another 0.5mm injector temps are very high and have been recorded at 90c on my datalog, i hope to get this on video but for now i just have a still image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6OX4...ature=youtu.be

I have recently ordered a devils own kit and hope to inject pre turbo as well as using the present kit in its present location, I will update this thread with the findings on the datalog as i go, i am only recording temp just before the TB and I am only interested in reduction of inlet temps at this time.

I thought some of you guys might be interested to see what happens, any ideas as to how much extra H20 I will be able to inject?, will I be able to get down to 30c with H20 alone?

Last edited by T.F.S.; 03-06-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Second kit added.

Twin tanks in the boot, separate one for each kit

The Devils-Own injector will be placed looking into the "eye" of the turbo as close to the impeller as possible doing this is not easy....the best position on offer is firing the injector from the wall of the hose so I adapted some mesh to give me the optimum position, lets hope it stays in place and does not offer too much restriction :0

the injector is just spraying pure water at the moment and hopefully will help lower temps a bit closer to 30c, this injector should flow circa 400cc per min

Air filter in position

After a test drive in cooler conditions that the last test the inlet temp has dropped by circa 40c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEX08...ature=youtu.be

Ambient temp was 16c, injection trigger point for the Aquamist system (post turbo) was dropped to 4psi, Devils system (pre turbo) was triggered at 2psi and ramps up to max flow at 19psi (boost sensative progressive system)

Boost temps were seen to be around 40c, I never saw 50c on the test but I could not pull max RPM on a wet road and ambient temps were quite low.

I will try for a slightly larger injector soon!

Last edited by T.F.S.; 28-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 PM

A 40 celcius drop in temp by just adding water is brilliant. Very interested to see what results you will net by playing with different nozzle sizes and if you run WM50/50 pre turbo. The results you are showing are indicating that temps can be run low enough without the need for intercooling at all.

Has the elimination of the IC reduce turbo lag? If you had any that is?

Are you running this car on the road?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant M View Post
A 40 celcius drop in temp by just adding water is brilliant. Very interested to see what results you will net by playing with different nozzle sizes and if you run WM50/50 pre turbo. The results you are showing are indicating that temps can be run low enough without the need for intercooling at all.

Has the elimination of the IC reduce turbo lag? If you had any that is?

Are you running this car on the road?
Yes I intend to play with Ethanol mixture soon...I am going to rely on the Devils kit alone due to the pressure it runs at and add an injector just after the compressor where the present Aquamist injectors are and run a 50/50 mixture....or maybe I should run everything pre turbo?

The car is a daily drive and runs very well like this..it seems to have less lag than before too but I have no data on this until I get to the dyno.

For more info on this car please see.
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtop...264&highlight=
Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 AM

You will be able to see whether or not if you need the post turbo injectors by disconnecting it and going for a drive and logging everything.

Rice racing on here will be able to give any advice about pre turbo injection as he's been running that for a while on his rx7. He uses a water/methanol blend 50/50 by weight iirc injected preturbo. He is running up to 35psi on his T04Z which is prety much the turbos limit without overspeeding it.

You may also want to try moving the pre turbo injector further away from the turbo so that the atomised water can help cool the air being sucked in even more. That is If you have the space.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 AM

You will be able to see whether or not if you need the post turbo injectors by disconnecting it and going for a drive and logging everything.

Rice racing on here will be able to give any advice about pre turbo injection as he's been running that for a while on his rx7. He uses a water/methanol blend 50/50 by weight iirc injected preturbo. He is running up to 35psi on his T04Z which is prety much the turbos limit without overspeeding it.

You may also want to try moving the pre turbo injector further away from the turbo so that the atomised water can help cool the air being sucked in even more. That is If you have the space.
Old 13-06-2012, 11:47 PM

@ TFS.

You do realise that mesh screen will be posing a huge restriction to airflow. Get rid of it !
Old 14-06-2012, 01:56 AM

TFS, is the end of the filter metal or filter? I tapped the end of a motorcycle filter and used it for summer preturbo work. My filter wasn't as large or long as yours, but with the airflow that should be incoming, and not through-flowing, fluid contact with the side should be less likely, unless your hobbs switch gets set to open the solenoid before the spray starts
Old 14-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Guys I am unsure of how much of a restriction that actually represents...it the mesh is more corse than say an AFM?, air filter has a rubber end..
Old 15-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Howerton Engineering

Just some general info; Sometimes the open area of a screen cannot be equated to the airflow through that screen.

If you look at a normal household window(insect) screen, typical in the US, they will generally cut airflow by 50% through an opening. All screens are a bit different, but the numbers are sometimes surprising.

The screen in the pic appears to be a bit more coarse, but it could be a significant restriction.