waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 26-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Question IC or not to IC

Hi guys,

I have been looking at getting a HFS-3 system for a little while now, but i have a couple of questions that i can't quite find answers for..
Currently i have a Puma Clubman ( caterham style of car ) i got it built just to get it registered and drivable, and then was going to carry on modifying it over time..

It is an SR20DET engine from an s14 silvia. Currently i do not have an intercooler set up on the car at all.. it is just a pipe going straight from the compressor into the intake..( as i was going to go custom supercharged setup, but decided to stick with turbo because there does not seem to be any benefit for this engine to go that way)

After reading a fair few posts, i have read that pre-turbo is very beneficial (50/50) to making the turbo more efficient and helping atomise the mix, so i was looking at doing that.. but then i have read that if you have an intercooler.. you could be essentially heating the air back up again.

so my question is, would i be better off pre-turbo spraying and just leaving the setup WITHOUT the Intercooler and would i still get a good enough cooling affect to warrant not installing one?

Or i should install one, and go with direct port injecting?

which leads me to a couple more questions.. i have noticed a few people go pre turbo and then also have direct injection, is this the best set up?

Should i go pre-turbo plus direct injection WITHOUT an IC...
or go pre-turbo plus direct WITH an IC.

and would the hsf3 do this fine with a y piece + distribution manifold..

Also i would like to not open the can of worms about is it good for my turbo or not, it is not a daily driver and the car sees maybe 3000-4000kms a year.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, and thank you in advanced

Regards
John
Old 27-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Re: IC or not to IC

water/meth can cool the air to a lower temperature than the IC can, you have that right, but something to consider is that a cooler than ambient IC is a good thing. Air is always flowing through the IC, so air will always be cooled or heated by the IC.

Whether or not to run an IC, in my eyes is a matter of speed. If you're normal speeds will be low, and alot of stop and go, an IC won't be as beneficial as a highway toy. Water/meth can start cooling as soon as you hit turn-on, not as soon as you have had ample cool air running across the IC to remove heat.

For location, I would look at pre-turbo, and post turbo, in a straight pipe for the mix to get mixed without an IC. the pre-turbo will cool the pressurization, and right after the turbo will cool the air further. I don't see a reason to go direct port unless you have a horrible intake manifold.
Old 27-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Re: IC or not to IC

Thanks for the reply,

very helpful!
so i will go with setting up an intercooler, and run a pre and post turbo jet, with the post turbo jet.. would that be better off going close to the throttle body, or just after/before the intercooler?