waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 21-12-2017, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Nozzle spray angle...

if you manage to achieve max torque before knock occurs, you could consider injecting less or run more boost.
if you you do not manage to get to MBT timing due to knock, you could inject more.
if you get misfires, you also might inject too much for you ignition system to cope with.
once you run it tad leaner than 10:1 while injecting the engine will wake up.
Old 23-12-2017, 04:17 AM

Talking Re: Nozzle spray angle...

OK. MBT tuning will have to wait until I get the car on a dyno. In the meantime
I will keep tweaking the fuel table to get the AFR while injecting into the low 11's.
Engine is running well with no sign of any hesitation under load. Did a 3rd gear pull
on the highway today and managed 199.6kPa when hitting the rev limiter. Or at
least I thought it was the limiter until I checked my log and found that I hit boost
cut at 197kPa. Didn't realise I had an overboost cut set, so maybe next time I will
manage to struggle past the magic 200kPa mark

Cheers... jondee86
Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 AM

Question Re: Nozzle spray angle...

Had to enpty my tank and refill it today, and noticed that the methanol
smell did not seem as strong as when I first mixed this tank (50/50 w/w).
So is there a use by date for mix ? This tank would be about 6 weeks old
and I have only used about 1/3 of the 10 litre tank.

Cheers... jondee86
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 AM

no, unless you leave the reservoir cap off, a 50:50 (wt) mix will last pretty much for ever.
Do not use an aluminium tank for any methanol formulations unless it is coated on the inside with a appropriate coating.
Polymer containers work the best.

Air will slowly oxidises methanol in formaldehyde and formic acid. This in itself won't really bother your injection system.
Formic acid and methanol itself will slowly react into a ester with a distinct smell.
Methanol will react with formaldehyde forming hemiacetals and acetals. These have a distinct smell.
These chemical reactions of "aging" methanol exposed to air are very similar to what happens in raging spirits like whiskey or wine.
Their smell gets more complex over time as the above compounds are formed.
They all burn well and are only formed in rather small quantities with low reaction speeds given you start with high purity methanol.

Very high purity methanol has no intense distinct smell at all. It is almost odourless.

Ph.D chemist here. I have worked in the past with HPLC grade very high purity methanol and had a sniff. Natural curiosity.

The more "technical" grade it gets, the more off a soapy or booze like smell it gets.
As a mix with water, the oder intensity drops even more.

Some of the compounds you can smell are very volatile and easily vent off if you open the container. I'd not be surprised if you sometimes smell something and sometimes not.
Propanol and butanol have a smell that reminds me of technical grade methanol, especially when sprayed or hot.

This could depend of how long it was open before you exposed you nose to vapours, if the reservoir as cold or warm, direction of the wind....

When my car went into storage over winter, I have always drained the water methanol system.

Last edited by rotrex; 12-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:03 PM

If anyone is curious, I mix my 50/50 with pure methanol and tap water and it stays 100% clear but when I add a small amount of methanol lube it goes cloudy and heats up quite a bit more. The only reason for the lube is I have some coated mild steel springs in my DP check valves that rust without it. It seems to stay mixed for as long as I need it to lol. Cheers
Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 PM

All good then I am using a Pe container and I had to syphon the mix out
of the tank into other containers and that took a while. So any smell that had
accumulated in the tank would have dissipated while I was syphoning the mix out.

Got a few fine days now so I shall see if I can use up another couple of litres

Cheers... jondee86