waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 18-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Default WI not Spraying?

I have a 1S system installed in my 1996 Volvo 850 turbo, and for some reason the system isn't spraying. I have the pump mounted on a mounting plate that I fabbed, attached to the battery tray (driver's side) and the fluid supply is about 45" away on the passenger side. I have the pressure sensor mounted to the driver's side fender in the engine bay, with about 27" of silicone vacuum line running from it to the vacuum tree, for boost pressure activation. The run from the pump to the jet is only about 18", just after the intercooler.

Now, I can get the pump to spray mist if I disconnect the pressure sensor and start the car, but with the pressure sensor wired into the mix, I'm not noticing any mist/pump action. This I confirmed by the fact that I'm not using any fluid, and I still have blue fluid in the line between the pump and the jet nozzle... I switched to an orange colored mix, so it being blue there tells me nothing's happening.

I'm fairly certain that I have everything wired up correctly. For power, I've got the red and blacks to the +/- battery terminals respecively, and the purple lead goes directly to the positive terminal on my coil. It's got a brand new fuse for the pump too.

I'd appreciate any help on this, b/c it's annoying to have this setup and have it looking good, but not actually performing.

Thank you!
Old 18-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

what boostm pressure are you running at the monent?
Old 18-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
what boostm pressure are you running at the monent?
Right now I have an ECU mapped to boost to 17psi, but I'm seeing 20psi overboosts at times (typical w/the Mitsu 18T turbo I'm running). I can generate 14psi at about 3500rpm in most gears. I haven't touched the pressure sensor, which says it's factory set to fire off at 10psi.

Thank you for the reply, Richard!
Old 18-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Could you check the pressure switch with a hand pump. It is set to 10psi from factory, could you verify tghis? Otherwise I cannot think of any other reasons why the pump doesn't spray. Hacve you connected anything else on the grey wire?
Old 18-04-2006, 07:20 PM

I'll acquire a hand pump and test it out. Thanks for the pointer. I'll let you know what I do find.
Old 18-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Oh sorry, missed your query about the gray wire. No, nothing is attached except by the instructions. I was going to hook up an LED inline so that it would light when the pump was activated, but haven't gotten that far yet.
Old 19-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Update...

Last evening, I hooked a hand pump up to the pressure selenoid and it wouldn't open (activate the pump) even with 25psi, which is strange. This morning I installed a new selenoid and it's activating the pump when I generate right at 10psi on my hand pump. I cannot actually hear the pump activating while driving, but there's alot going on quickly at or above 10psi.

I reattached the vacuum line to the selenoid, after my testing and adjustments. I'll have to give it some time to see if it's activating the pump while on the road.

Any tips on where to wire up an LED that I can install in the dash, so that I can monitor actually *when* the pump is activating?

Thanks for the help!
Old 19-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

What is the part number of the pressure switch (solenoid?). I presume your system is brand new and purchased recently

Here is a connection diagram, ignor the float switch part.