waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 14-10-2005, 11:32 PM

Default How necessary is a solenoid on WI?

I dont have one in my system.I put in a checkvalve between the tank and the pump as per instructions.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 16-10-2005, 04:25 AM

Nobody?I was also wondering why my kit instructed me to put the checkvalve before the pump wheres the other kits use them(checkvalves) between the pump and nozzle?
Old 16-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Are you talking about a solenoid or a check valve? I'm injecting dowstream of the throttle so I use a 1 bar check valve insert in the jet to stop it sucking water in when the throttle is closed. I think pumps generally like blowing rather than sucking so it makes sense to me for the check valve to go downstream of the pump, as mine is.

People seem to use solenoids to purge air from the pump, and I guess if you're doing this it would need to be downstream of the pump. But if you are just using the solenoid instead of a check valve, there might be advantages to putting it upstream of the pump because that would prevent the check valve from being exposed to full injection pressure.

Not a very good answer I know, but something to think about until the experts turn up.
Old 16-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks Greenv8,I inject before the throttle body but still had a problem with overconsumption of water/methanol.The first day my kit was installed (Shurflow pump type),I used something like 1.5 gallons in about 2 hours of mixed city/highway driving.Then I put in the check valve and the problem was gone.The nozzle is slightly below or even with the tank and way above the pump.Anyway I think that the way I have my checkvalve setup isnt as good as post pump but I installed it according to instructions.I dont want to starve the pump.
Old 26-10-2005, 02:22 PM

OK--I checked the instructions again and they use the checkvalve between the pump and reservoir to keep SC preassure form blowing back through the pump into the reservoir,not for siphoning.My question is if I need a check or solenoid in my system?couldnt a venturi effect be drawing out fluid?
Old 27-10-2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootzz06
OK--I checked the instructions again and they use the checkvalve between the pump and reservoir to keep SC preassure form blowing back through the pump into the reservoir,not for siphoning.My question is if I need a check or solenoid in my system?couldnt a venturi effect be drawing out fluid?
If you suck on the check valve doesn't it seal?
Old 27-10-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It would depend how your system was arranged but I think if the WI jet is downstream of the throttle you need a check valve and this takes care of the blow-back issue. Could you give an outline of the induction setup (relative position of the blower, throttle, WI jet etc) and of your WI setup (pump, accumulator, HSV etc)?
Old 31-10-2005, 02:51 AM

I'm going to put it on the preassure side of the pump-I dont like it where it is even if snow says to put it there.--I'll put a filte inline to connect the hose.
Old 31-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'm going to put it on the preassure side of the pump-I dont like it where it is even if snow says to put it there.--I'll put a filte inline to connect the hose.
I agree, sucking through a check valve seems like a very bad idea, even if it would work at all (which I doubt).
Old 19-11-2005, 03:01 AM

I have a solenoid located just before the HSV , I run my system pressure at 150 - 160 psi for better atomisation , I use it to isolate the HSV from seeing the constantly high system pressure , at the same time it also safe guards against water leaking into the motor when its shut off.