waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 25-05-2004, 07:02 AM

Default 2004 6.0 Liter Powerstroke

I'm running an Edge Juice module, Cold Air intake, 4 inch dual exhaust, no cat, no resonator, disabled EGR and still acheiving nearly 1500 degrees Farenheit EGT.... I am looking for ways to cool the Exhaust stream and have Ruled out Nitrous Oxide. seems like it will Raise Cyl Pressures too much. What are the benefits and draw backs to H20 injection? Will it suit my needs and will it bring my EGT's back down to a reasonable level? Any Help you can offer is appreciated.....

Mr. Reese
Anchorage Ak.
Old 27-05-2004, 12:19 AM

Water injection will definitely reduce the EGTs you are seeing. Your application would likely require quite a bit of flow potential from the system you choose. Probably looking at a shurflo pump as the base of your system.
Old 27-05-2004, 05:14 AM

I'm interested but i'm very green when it comes to water injection, I like the idea of running washer fluid in order to eliminate the need for another resivoir ....(It is pretty tight under the hood) Where can I buy a Kit? I don't want to build my own system or anything like that...
Old 28-05-2004, 10:46 PM

We sell Aquamist kits for gasoline applications and sell Aquamist parts that you can adapt to a shurflo pump which in this case would be preferable due to your flow requirements. The thing with diesels is that they use much more water/mixture than gasoline applications, I am not sure how long your resevoir would last. For instance some diesel applications run as much as 1:1 water to fuel and have water tanks equal to the size of their fuel tanks. An extreme example but relevant.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 PM

How much boost are you running now? Do you see a good amount of smoke under load? If so, simply run more boost. EGTs should drop nicely.

Also, where are you measuring EGT? I read the thermal limit fort your engine is 1350F...
Old 25-06-2004, 03:51 PM

I have the same set up with out the air filter. I also see 1500 degress at the end of the track, I willbe replacing the exhaust with a 4 inch soon. I am very interested in the 50/50 water/meth injection. So how much would I be looking at to convert the kit with the different pump? I do not know of a way to simply turn up the boost, my trucks makes anywhere from 30-34 psi with all kinds of smoke on levels 4and 5 with the fueling set on level 5.
The best my truck has run to date is an 8.81 in the 1/8 mile @ 76.54 mph.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: 2004 6.0 Liter Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked
I'm running an Edge Juice module, Cold Air intake, 4 inch dual exhaust, no cat, no resonator, disabled EGR and still acheiving nearly 1500 degrees Farenheit EGT.... I am looking for ways to cool the Exhaust stream and have Ruled out Nitrous Oxide. seems like it will Raise Cyl Pressures too much. What are the benefits and draw backs to H20 injection? Will it suit my needs and will it bring my EGT's back down to a reasonable level? Any Help you can offer is appreciated.....

Mr. Reese
Anchorage Ak.

Your engine will benifit greatly with water injection, you don't even have to increase boost, just a mild percentage of methanol, the exact percentage will have to be by experiment. Your high EGT is very useful in vaporising the water and add substantial torque numbers on the current output.

With diesel engine, the ratio of methanol and water is quite critical - too much methanol will cause pre-ignition. Water on the other hand will extend combustion duration.

The percentage of water to fuel ratio can be as high as 300%! I think your engine can take as much as 2 litre of water per minute or five to six 1 mm nozzles. Your expected power gain will be at least in the 25% region.

You will require to use something simliar to a shurflo pump for water delivery. We do supply such systems but I am sure you will be able to rig up something yourself if you only want to use it for drag racing purpose - on/off system is fine.
Old 13-07-2004, 09:57 PM

I've heard that the SHURflo 8000 Series is the correct pump for diesel applications. However, there are several 8000 series pumps to choose from. Is there a specific recommendation that can be made for this pump?

Thanks.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I am not sure either, but any 8000 series Shurflo that has pressure of 100-150 psi at 3 litre/min upwards will do.

You will need a couple of valves to inject the water near full throttle. (drag racing applications)

If you are using it for street as well, you will need a more progressive controller to meter the water. May be a MF2 and a couple of HSV will do nicely. Not sure wherecan one find a RPM signal from a diesel engine.

MF2 reads two signals: boost and RPM to product a 2-D map, but with an addition of a MAP sensor, the unit will allow you to work in 3-D mode.

Does your engine have these signals as stock?
Old 14-07-2004, 04:49 PM

Boost gauge has been installed. The RPM gauge was configured as a standard when vehicle was first purchased.