waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Default how is HFS-4 connected to ECU?

hi guys,

I owe Skoda Octavia 2 (2006), 2.0TDi 103@140kW. Golf V platform

I still have DPF and I do not wish to remove it due my long journeys (30k km annually). I'm not pig and as designer...it is all about effectivity not about maximising ineffective power.

EGT doesn't bother me on highways...it is stable around 500deg C

Fun comes in mountains where I drive most of time and I need WOT and engine is 100% loaded.

EGT 800> deg C and all goes to oil. Furthermore, after ECU recalibration DPF gets clogged more often (what else with so much unburnt fuel even at 18:1 AFR).

In steep alpine roads...I'm on 4th gear, WOT and car won't go any faster but excessive heat in exhaust and engine oil.

Larger turbo and injectors won't help combustion, they just add to problem.

OEM intercooler and basically any air-air solution is ineffective and who wants to carry freezer with ice :-D

My objectives are:

1. reduce EGT temps/cooling system temps
2. reduce air intake temp
3. increased power output never hurts

I came across water injection and Aquamist full automatic system seems to be optimal solution but I failed to aquire all necessary info from FAQ/Installation guide. i have following questions:

1. how is HFS-4 connected to ECU? I already have Polar FIS box in system and anything connected to OBD doesn't work while FIS active is.

2. is EGT temps aquired from ECU? I do not wish to drill into exhaust...it would be expensive disaster at high temps I usually have

3. if connected to EGT, MAP, MAF - this system is able to control injected quantity (if I understood correctly). 60% of time I spent at cruise speed on highways and rest is alpine fun with 50-100% load

Most systems simple use MAP and injected quantity is not linear in TDi...you can have high boost, yet low injection quantity. I would like sophisticated system, which is able to adapt at any condition.

Regards

Hajes
Old 13-09-2016, 05:49 AM

Default Re: how is HFS-4 connected to ECU?

I second the request for information. I want very similar goals to Hajes.
Old 13-09-2016, 07:02 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: how is HFS-4 connected to ECU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_hajes View Post
hi guys,

I owe Skoda Octavia 2 (2006), 2.0TDi 103@140kW. Golf V platform

I still have DPF and I do not wish to remove it due my long journeys (30k km annually). I'm not pig and as designer...it is all about effectivity not about maximising ineffective power.

EGT doesn't bother me on highways...it is stable around 500deg C

Fun comes in mountains where I drive most of time and I need WOT and engine is 100% loaded.

EGT 800> deg C and all goes to oil. Furthermore, after ECU recalibration DPF gets clogged more often (what else with so much unburnt fuel even at 18:1 AFR).

In steep alpine roads...I'm on 4th gear, WOT and car won't go any faster but excessive heat in exhaust and engine oil.

Larger turbo and injectors won't help combustion, they just add to problem.

OEM intercooler and basically any air-air solution is ineffective and who wants to carry freezer with ice :-D

My objectives are:

1. reduce EGT temps/cooling system temps
2. reduce air intake temp
3. increased power output never hurts

I came across water injection and Aquamist full automatic system seems to be optimal solution but I failed to aquire all necessary info from FAQ/Installation guide. i have following questions:

1. how is HFS-4 connected to ECU? I already have Polar FIS box in system and anything connected to OBD doesn't work while FIS active is.

2. is EGT temps aquired from ECU? I do not wish to drill into exhaust...it would be expensive disaster at high temps I usually have

3. if connected to EGT, MAP, MAF - this system is able to control injected quantity (if I understood correctly). 60% of time I spent at cruise speed on highways and rest is alpine fun with 50-100% load

Most systems simple use MAP and injected quantity is not linear in TDi...you can have high boost, yet low injection quantity. I would like sophisticated system, which is able to adapt at any condition.

Regards

Hajes
Apologises for not spotting this post. Hope you will revisit and read this....

Answering your questions:

1. The HFS-4 receives the PWM signal directly by tapping into the diesel injectors. Not sure what FIS is, do elaborate.

2. 0-5V EGT signal has to be acquired from a third module since the ECU does not offer it.

3. The HFS4 can operating based on two main inputs, iDC and 0-5V. Since boost is meaningless on an diesel as it is an "excess air" device, you can use the second input for EGT. Fuel rail pressure is monitored independently.