waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Using a fuel injector as FAV?

Hi!

Has anyone tried using a fuel injector as FAV?

I found an injector with close spec to whats needed in terms of pressure and flow.
The question is if it can handle water corrosive properties and if it will open consistently at pressures slightly over its rating.
Also the pressure drop over the injector might be larger.

This injector also has a replaceable filter built in to it.

Nominal Flow Rate – 1065cc/min @ 3.0 Bar (43.5 psi) Using Gasoline at 52 Degrees C (125 Degrees F)
Maximum Differential Fuel Pressure – 10.0 Bar (145.0 psi)

Something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Injector_Valve_WI.jpg (95.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Using a fuel injector as FAV?

Unless the injector is rated for high water content and methanol compatibility, I'd refer from using it. I think with injectors compatible with methanol, you might have a chance.
A common fuel injector will corrode in short oder and fail.

Alternatively you can build a test rig and test the injector daily for a few weeks with water/methanol (constant exposure) and check if it works without isses.
That is the only other way to find out.

I'd rather buy the FAV from Aquamist and call it a day. Won't be really more expensive than that injector, a holder and associanted pipe fittings.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrex View Post
Unless the injector is rated for high water content and methanol compatibility, I'd refer from using it. I think with injectors compatible with methanol, you might have a chance.
A common fuel injector will corrode in short oder and fail.

Alternatively you can build a test rig and test the injector daily for a few weeks with water/methanol (constant exposure) and check if it works without isses.
That is the only other way to find out.

I'd rather buy the FAV from Aquamist and call it a day. Won't be really more expensive than that injector, a holder and associanted pipe fittings.
The injector in mind has these statements:
Corrosion resistant internals make it compatible with all known fuels, capable of extended service life with corrosive fuels.

But using water is still an unknown. An alternative is urea injectors for emission systems that should take care of the corrosion issue but those probably have to low flow and the specs might not be as good as a fuel injector.

The price isn't the goal here, I've been searching the web for a valve that can run at around 100Hz and 200psi and I haven't found any of the shelf ones.

I've already ordered the aquamist FAV, this is just a side project to be able to use a wider duty range etc.

BR,
Mattias
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Bosch published the specifications of their EV14 injector, This is currently used most modern engines. Water compatibility is not mentioned.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...5993867pdf.pdf
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Bosch published the specifications of their EV14 injector, This is currently used most modern engines. Water compatibility is not mentioned.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...5993867pdf.pdf
I know that they aren't but they are developing specific injectors for WI
http://www.bosch-mobility-solutions....ter-injection/

What I would like to know is what part/function of the injector that could be effected, if it's eg. only the small laser drilled nozzle holes that bosch usually uses in oem applications or if it's something that would be important if used as a FAV.

Best regards,
Mattias
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The WI injector is not EV14. They are specials, not yet available to the aftermarket industry. BMW M54 uses them. You might be lucky with your local BMW dealers.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
The WI injector is not EV14. There are specials, not yet available to the aftermarket industry. BMW M54 uses them. You might be lucky with your local BMW dealers.

These will probably be very expensive due to low volume for now. But if oems start to use WI on standard cars so they become widely available it probably wouldn't be long until the aftermarket could find use for them