waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 AM

Default wi on a duramax with boxes stacked making over 500 on #2

hello all: a few questions i have

i was at a dyno the other day watching another member using your wi(two stage with hobbs set to 20lbs) on a 500hp plus truck simular to what i was making on just #2, he netted another 35 to 40hp with 65tq :shock:

after he gave me a ride in it, and it sure seamed to make a advance timming rattle sound when the water injection turned on, he said he was running a 50/50 mix and his stack caused the timing to increase as it was

could this be that we were hearing detonation rather than a timing increase, he said this was normal for wi to sound that way, scared me a bit, started to sound like a cummins, can it be that wi should just be used on a less advanced stack

he also stated that another guy he knows used lp with it and it complements it, works good together, what do you feel

but then stated never to use wi with lp and nitrous as his brother did and caused major damage(thinks it frooze the water molecules and quickly closes up) and ended up burning his pistons, valves, and injectors, becomming very exspensive

what i understand you say it works good with nitrous, any idea on that

just looking for some info before buying

thanks for your input
Old 05-03-2005, 05:28 PM

I am a dmax owner, I think you hear detonation, and I believe it to be harmful. The det sound mean stress, obviously present in all diesel, the sharper the sound the more stress.

With stacked trucks (multiple tuners) the air intake becomes a limit to power. So much overfueling is occuring that the WI serves better to cool than to power. Little O2 remains to use the meth as a fuel. But it cools better than propane from my understanding, and yes, you would/should take precautions to prevent phenomena such as induction icing, though I've never heard it to be a problem with 30 psi turbos making mucho heat, but I'm not sure.

Some pre-turbo misting is what he should experiment with, getting more air out of it that way, I think he might see big gains, because I believe air is limiting performance on the truck you describe.
Old 18-03-2005, 07:22 AM

thanks for the reply
i since have added lp and wi to my max, and it works very nice together, i find that with a stack the timing rattle or denotaion is to much, on a dyno it made 575hp with single tune and lp, and 604 with the stack on a 50/50 mix and lp

be prepared for a lot of water consumption, and never run n20 with this setup, i did talk to another member that froze off the intercoller with n20 and wi, cooled the charge to much and ended up doing severe topend damage

i went with the two nozzel system, and it still will bog the motor a bit if not wot, almost to much water it seams, temps are 200degress lower, and take much longer to get up there, boost is up 1 to2 pounds

this picture is what wi did for me on a stock duramax, you can see at 20lbs of boost or 4 seconds into the run, it kicked on and made that type of extra power, with know extra timing noise

Old 18-03-2005, 07:38 AM

this is what it did on a 510hp stack with just wi on,
Old 18-03-2005, 02:47 PM

I assume all this is post IC misting? What is the flow rate you were running on that stock run? Nozzle types? Very impressive. Details please.

Looks like 50+HP. Does the chart show water only or a meth mix? No lp on that run?

Also, stack details please.

I assume you have upgradede the tranny?
Old 18-03-2005, 03:30 PM

yes it is pre intercooler, a foot from the motor, sprayed with two .625 nozzels at a rate of approx 488ml each at 40psi, and that was what i ran on the stock run as well, the mix was 50/50 and their was know lp for the stock run
the stack was a 155 p0werpup stacked with jkva170

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterp2
I assume all this is post IC misting? What is the flow rate you were running on that stock run? Nozzle types? Very impressive. Details please.

Looks like 50+HP. Does the chart show water only or a meth mix? No lp on that run?

Also, stack details please.

I assume you have upgradede the tranny?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:12 AM

Wish I had a built transmission. Going to be stacking soon enough with the new exhaust. Probably predator and Juice.

What kind of EGT's did you see at 500+ HP?
Old 23-06-2005, 05:17 AM

as for egt, they started low 1250 ANd by the end of the run they made 1700, without water they would approch 1700 much quicker