waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 26-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering
I think the small tube you are referring to is possibly the accumulator.
This unit is used to smooth out any pulses apparent in the lines due to the nature of the pump.
That's what I thought. But why is it missing from this system? I think (and maybe wrong) that with smaller engines, and the PWM-Valve working at lower speeds, this is needed more than the HFS-6 system that is intended for more powerful engines, as Richard pointed out. Did it up the price of the kit too mutch or it is really not needed? Can I have a kit with it or install one myself? I am planing on doing "direct port" injection that is why I am concerned about the pulsating jet so close to the intake.

What are the failsafes that this system has? I know that one for sure is the liquid level. Any other? Is flow taken into consideration?

Also, when is the manual coming out?

Sorry for asking so many questions but this is a new kit and not match is written about it.

Thank you both for your replies
Old 26-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Howerton Engineering

I can't give you an accurate answer on the accumulator as Richard will have made the decision to eliminate it. We do have the parts here to add it to the system if you wish to do so.

The system has a similar failsafe setup as to the HFS-6, with the reset time fixed and no direct circuit for the MAC valve( but the normal contacts con drive a MAC valve fine). So a full flow based failsafe is provided in the 3.

The manual will be published when completed, we have a good deal of product info on our site here:

http://howertonengineering.com/Aquamist_hfs3.html

Even though there are some differences to the HFS-6, installation and basic operation are similar to the 6.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Would the HFS-3 support 2litres/minute methanol flow at good pressure?.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Howerton Engineering

Richard will have to give a definitive answer, I think the pump will flow 1800cc/min at good pressure, and the FAV can be configured for special applications if need be. I'll try to get him to respond here.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaLBee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering
I think the small tube you are referring to is possibly the accumulator.
This unit is used to smooth out any pulses apparent in the lines due to the nature of the pump.
That's what I thought. But why is it missing from this system? I think (and maybe wrong) that with smaller engines, and the PWM-Valve working at lower speeds, this is needed more than the HFS-6 system that is intended for more powerful engines, as Richard pointed out. Did it up the price of the kit too mutch or it is really not needed? Can I have a kit with it or install one myself? I am planing on doing "direct port" injection that is why I am concerned about the pulsating jet so close to the intake.
Sorry for asking so many questions but this is a new kit and not match is written about it.

Thank you both for your replies
The item in question does two jobs. It stores a small amount of pressurised water from the previous injection event on readyness for the next event. This fills the gaps where system pressure can drop by a small amount before the water pump spools up from a dead stop to arriving at the intended system pressure. The second job is to softening the hammer-effect caused by the rapid on/off action of the inline valve.

One of reason for omitting it is final system cost, we have to trim $200+ off the HFS-6 so people can afford a PWM valve system other than the HFS-6. We have been criticised for not designing a system for the masses.

As to the effect on the overall system performance in its absence, it is mimimal. This is because the HFS-3 is designed as a trunk mounted system, the long pressurised nylon hose (18 feet) between the pump (in trunk) to the inline valve (engine bay) will act as the 22cc surge arrestor/accumulater.

The item can be purchased separately, part #806-409. You need to get the kit of parts as on the HFS-6.

Please ask as many questions as you want, this is the place to do it. Information-overload and just as bad as providing too little.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmac
Would the HFS-3 support 2litres/minute methanol flow at good pressure?.
The HFS-3 is designed to supply 1500cc/min of water at 160psi. This is below the upper limit of the standard inline valve of 1800cc/min. Beyond this flow the system pressure will drop by 10-12psi unless you wind-up the pump pressure. The flow control by the valve will looses its linearity. You need to contact us to supply a higher flow valve up to 2-litre/min and a higher flow flow sensor. Those will be specials and a small cost involved, but we can do it.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Hfs-3 or 6

Hi I'm thinking of getting in on the group buybut want to know if I need the hfs-6. My motor is a 2.2ltr and makes 550 hp on c-16 race fuel. This is a multi usage car so mostly I use pump gas with boost turnd down to 12 lbs to prevent knock. It's intercooled. I don't use a MAF so fetures of the 6 system like the accumulator, map compesation and start flow point. Are these fetures needed and what are the reasons.
Old 30-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

What car do you have?

The HFS-3 should be able to handle all you need to run pump fuel and have performance approaching C16. Can you explain if you have a second switchable map for c16 or just running lower boost for pump fuel.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Hi Richard, the car is a 55 bug. 2165cc aircooled motor extensive mods. Yes a seperate map for c-16 but have to manualy input the 2nd map so look to use the w/m to keep one map only and meet somewhere in the middle. I'm hopeing to get into the 10s on pump gas. What nozzles do you suggest. One or two smaller ones? Also what mixture?
Old 31-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

If you have some ideas what fuel flow is your car consuming per minute?

Or the estimated horse power of your engine and boost psi. From there I can estimate the jet size.

Richard