waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 11-11-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Replacing the Stock WRX intercooler?

Would replacing my standard my00 wrx intercooler with a custom made turbo to Throttle body pipe to remove any flow resriction and pressure drops as associated with the stock intercooler and using my current Aquamist 2C to do the intercooling be a step backwards? At the moment my 2c system is only set using boost activation only which is set to come on at 10psi and im using the .8 jet and the HSV is not utilized(Maybe later when i have to more funds). I run a vf24 with a P20 exhaust housing and it's runnning 18psi and the Unichip has been tuned accordingly with water injection factored in.

Cheers Andy
Old 11-11-2004, 09:45 AM

If you could try injecting both prior to compressor & before throttle, that would be very insteresting.

I believe that can bring you some performence gain & also more aggressive throttle response.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM

What i was thinking of doing was with putting the jet close as possible the the compressor outlet i'm not keen on injecting b4 the compressor as im worried about knocking the blades around to much.So by putting the jet right next to the outlet there should be enough pipe length to fully atomize with air stream before it gets into the cyclinders so its cooled down as much as possible. But i do agree if i do it right there should be a performance gain because of more unrestricted inlet path as you say BUT if im not careful it could be dangerous and have a damaged motor due to det .. Would 2 jets be needed?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoRex
If you could try injecting both prior to compressor & before throttle, that would be very insteresting.

I believe that can bring you some performence gain & also more aggressive throttle response.
I have done some measuring using a k-type thermo couple and high accuracy fluke multimeter with a record function and measuring temps on the alloy part of the y-pipe underneath the intercooler i got as follows:
With injecting water post-compressor ( injecting before TB 0.9mm jet) and normally driving the temp sat on 46.4'C AVG (thats with a few full boost squirts, stop at traffic lights ect) then to start things i went WOT 4th gear till 6500rpm then to 5th for a short while i got a measurement of 94.1'C max value then injecting pre-compressor with 0.7mm jet again going WOT in 4th till 6500rpm the temp went to 70.1'C max value which is a good drop from the previous run but i really want no more than 55'C to negate the use of the intercooler.
The turbo also dropped right out of boost and was slow to regain full 18psi too when changing to 5th and going WOT again injecting pre compressor :? ...

I may try the 0.9 jet pre turbo and see the temp results, i could try runing both jets at the same time(0.7 pre-compressor jet & 0.9 pre-TB jet) but i dont think the Aquamist pump will have enough flow...

:Turbo is VF24 with P20 turbine housing still.
:Avg Ambient temp for the time of day during testing was 23'C
:Another fact i noticed when i stopped to refuel and got going the y-pipe temp was in the mid 50's and took at least 8-10mins of 100kmph driving to get back down to the 46'C AVG..
Old 25-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Not injecting pre turbo anymore i found damage to the comp blades not very good at all...
Old 26-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex180
Not injecting pre turbo anymore i found damage to the comp blades not very good at all...
Wow, that sounds awfull!!

I was considering pre turbo injection, but reading you post makes me re-consider.

Any idea what caused it, could there have been drops instead of mist?

Janis
Old 27-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Well it's an aquamist jet and i got the impression that they atomised the water enough for it to be ok but when i pulled the turbo out to change to a bigger unit the blades on my vf24 looked like they were sand blasted and the very outter edges looked like they were corroded ill get pic and show u what i mean... :shock: Maybe i just ran a to bigger jet i don't know but im never injecting pre-comp again to find out...
Old 27-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex180
.... but im never injecting pre-comp again to find out...
That trully sucks.

I can sure imagine that you're not too keen on ever trying it again.

Janis
Old 28-01-2005, 03:40 AM

Default details

It would be interesting to hear some more details, like how far the spray nozzle was up stream and what your turn on point was. Were you spraying pre-turbo all the time or only at high RPM/boost?

larry
Old 28-01-2005, 04:06 AM

I'm highly interested, too.

I've been using pre-compressor injection for almost 3 months. Nothing wrong is detected from the driver's seat.

My pre-comp jet is very close to the compressor blade, maybe less than 8 inches. It's a 0.5mm jet most of the time, swapped to a 0.4 recently, turned on only at high boost.

Maybe I should take some time to check my turbo, too. It's hard to reach, though :sad: