waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 AM

Default 1S system on test

I've just fitted a 1S kit to a Vauxhall Z20LET (2.0 litre 16v) turbo engine, which runs at 24 PSI peak boost pressure to produce a dyno'd 296bhp (96 bhp over stock)

With the system armed and set to come in at 10 PSI boost the car was run on the road, with a thermocouple fitted in the intake after water injection point to determine induction temperature. Water injection is with a 0.7mm jet in the intercooler neck. The system is all working fine and the car seems to respond smoother with the injection on.

However, the temperature did not appear to be reduced with the water injection on, ambient temperature was 12 deg C, with after intercooler temperature peaking at 27 deg C on a full throttle run. I know this was only a short burst of acceleration before cutting throttle, as this test was on a public road, so speed is an issue. The same peak temperature was achieved with the system switched off for the same timed acceleration run.

Main question if anyone can answer is whether there would be significant changes in the induction temperature during current weather conditions in the UK (ie winter)?

The system is currently running on pure water, as we haven't got any methanol to mix in as of yet. Would the methanol content make a huge difference?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Interesting test at 12C ambient. I still expect to see some reduction in temperature even at this low ambient. If the humidity of the air was high, you wouldn't see much evaporation as the damp air could not hold too much water.

I like to be sure that the spray pattern of the water jet is not impeded before making other assumptions. The thread of the water jet is only 4.5mm deep.

For futher cooling below 12C, you can add 25-30% of methanol since the rate of evaporatin for methanol is faster at lower temperatures.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:56 PM

It was a cool damp day, so perhaps this is hampering the effect. I know that the jet is working fine and is positioned OK, so perhaps with the addition of methanol the colling would be enhanced.

Unfortunately, due to it being a road test we didn't really have a lot of time to run at boost and couldn't use a motorway or dual carriageway for a long straight run (The test equipment lashed to the outside of the car may have caught the attention of the local constabulary, so we were working on a back road :wink: )
Old 05-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve VXR
It was a cool damp day, so perhaps this is hampering the effect. I know that the jet is working fine and is positioned OK, so perhaps with the addition of methanol the colling would be enhanced.

Unfortunately, due to it being a road test we didn't really have a lot of time to run at boost and couldn't use a motorway or dual carriageway for a long straight run (The test equipment lashed to the outside of the car may have caught the attention of the local constabulary, so we were working on a back road :wink: )
Pity that you have to do the test on twisty country roads. Try putting some methanol and you should see the effects.

As present, the wintery weather is still quite mild down the South, I am sure the cold speel will arrive sometime in the near future, get some methanol just in case.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
Quote:

Unfortunately, due to it being a road test we didn't really have a lot of time to run at boost and couldn't use a motorway or dual carriageway for a long straight run ...
Pity that you have to do the test on twisty country roads. Try putting some methanol and you should see the effects.

But living near twisty country roads must be great when owning a speedster (I take it you have the vauxhall speedster, right?). And allmost 300HP in a sub-1000KG car is wicked :twisted:

Did you change more things about the car? Or just the Aquamist and a bigger turbo if I'm not mistaken?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 AM

I'm sorry to dissapoint, but the car we have with nearly 300 bhp is not a Speedster, but a Zafira GSi , hence the reason it is has been difficult to test. People really notice a 7 seater people carrier going past a lot more than a little 2 seater sports car.

Current spec of the Zafira is basically standard internals, uprated hybrid turbo, uprated wastegate actuator, larger intercooler, dual piston atmospheric dump valve, 3" bore exhaust system with one of the catalysts removed and obviously software changes. The Aquamist was added as protection for the stock internals more than to gain power or torque.

I may add Aquamist 1S to my own car, which is an Astra Turbo, which is producing 247 bhp with similar specifications to the Zafira, but no changes from the original software setup. It would be interesting to see whether gains can be made on a stock ECU setup by using a 'bolt on' item such as Aquamist.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to dissapoint, but the car we have with nearly 300 bhp is not a Speedster, but a Zafira GSi , hence the reason it is has been difficult to test. People really notice a 7 seater people carrier going past a lot more than a little 2 seater sports car.
OMG, that's a real sleeper (so I'm not dissapointed).

I was thrown off by the "Steve VXR", the only VXR I know of is the Vauxhall VXR 220 (which is the speedster). But I just googled a bit and found out that there are more models that carry the VXR badge.

Damn, a 300HP Zafira :twisted:

In my case, I added the 1S for protection purposes as well. I took it to a rolling road recently (temp outside 5C). Under those circumstances (i.e. cold and wet whether), the 1S didn't add much top Power and Torque.
(I expect to loose less power during summer when it's hot due to aquamist though)

But, the power was delivered faster. It took 15% less time during a 5 second run to reach top HP and Torque, which should translate into a shorter 0-60 time.

Results vary with different setups. If you have an upgraded intercooler there's probably less to be gained with extra cooling (I say less, not nothing).

YMMV

Janis
Old 06-01-2005, 09:56 PM

Did you verify the flow rate through the nozzle?

Methanol can evaporate when the air has 100% RH.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterp2
Did you verify the flow rate through the nozzle?

Methanol can evaporate when the air has 100% RH.
We checked the nozzle was jetting OK, but we haven't run the car with Methanol in the water yet.

Had some reports back from the owner that the car is driving much smoother with the Aquamist on and is more responsice after sitting in traffic for a while if the WI is activated