waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Replacing IC with water - Experiments

Well my slovenly self got off it's ass and got the car sorted for some water injection experiments.

I have a Flyin' Miata turbo and MoTeC M4 ecu installed on my Miata. I have bypassed the intercooler with a crossover pipe. The normal air temp sensor is at the throttle body and a second one is in the compressor inlet pipe to allow trimming of the water injection.

A water jet is installed at the turbo compressor outletand is driven off the boost control function of my MoTeC M4 ecu. The M4 boost control allows a direct PWM output as opposed to a PID algorithm if desired, so the jet will be directly driven off a MAP x RPM table. In addition, the M4 allows the output to be trimmed based on various factors including aux t - in this case the compressor inlet temperature. This gives the ability to map the water delivery fairly accurately to achieve a desired cooling effect across a wide range of temperatures.

The boost control moves to another auxiliary output and will be based on tps and water flow rate, allowing boost to be contrained to the mechanical base if a jet is blocked. I have a float switch to install in the water tank as well to complete the safety net.

I hope to be able to keep a fairly predictable intake temperature ceiling under boost this way, and ultimately run the full 9 psi with no intercooler. I measured my current jet's flow rate at just a bit under 300cc/min which should be enough to reduce the intake temps at 9 psi from a hairy (Vegas in August) 110F underhood to 85F. My injector duty on RC Eng 550s is about 60% max allowing a theoretical flow rate of 330 cc/min of water, so the jet is well sized.

Looking forward to seeing what can be done! 8)