waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > General Effects

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Hello. L200 owner - planning a kit. Lots to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
We don't make diesel tuner boxes. I suggest research it first before adding water injection. You mentioned something about ECU remapping. If you can do remapping, then adding water injection is the next stage.
Sorry I meant a suitable water injection kit for my truck....
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The HFS-4 is the only system that will work your car.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 AM

I don't think the 4d56 has an ECU. It's a knob turner from what I have read about them.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 AM

There are slightly different generations and different versions of the 4D56. Mine does have an ECU and an electronically controlled pump. Look at the L200 engine details versus the Pajero and you'll see what I mean. Besides that would mean the chaps who have had ECU remaps are getting extra power from fairy dust. :wink:
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 AM

No worries, I know about the two generations of paj having the 4d56, i read that it was a dog (no offense meant) and started looking for a 4m40 in a SWB and 4m41 (I can dream) for when I strike it rich.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM

Yep there was a chap on the Paj forum who did crazy tuning to his 4D56. Got it up to around 200BHP with serious modification. EGT's actually dropped because he did such a good job of the cooling. But he hit a wall because he had no ECU and a mechanical pump so he had more boost then fuel despite tweaking the pump for all it was worth.

I think we can go to his level without being quite so extreme on the tuning front. I believe water injection is the key. Essentially a remap can get you to around 170bhp with the breathing system getting you the rest of the way or at least close. As long as it stays in it's rev range and doesn't over heat. This guy fully balanced the internals so it would rev higher -?????. I'm thinking we just keep it cool! From what I've read about water injection it is the answer.

They are good engines if you look after them. Just rebuilt the top end on mine. Easy to work on and cheap for parts. I've driven a Paj without the ECU and electronic pump and it IS a dog! The L200 version is light years ahead in performance! The paj had 80bhp we have 115 standard. Main issue we have seen is the ally head isn't that heat tolerant. But what car doesn't have ally heads these days! And of the two 4D56's I can name which have had serious tuning, the head has never been an issue. Other things have failed but not the head.

4M40 engine is better engine by definition of it being a 2.8. Some guys have fitted one. But the engine we all think the L200 SHOULD have come with is the 3.2Did. Which the current shape now has but only as an import.

I'm quite confident from what I've seen first hand that we can make a success of this for not too bad a monetary figure.

Note worthy that the 3rd gen 4D56 has a common rail and 16 valve. So Mitsi already pushed it up to 165bhp on themselves. And THAT engine when remapped will get damn close to 200 without additional cooling. So what we're trying to do here isn't that extreme when you view it like that. a vast difference from the first 80bhp gen 1's in the Pajero! Clearly a more capable engine than people re given to think in my opinion.

What vehicle do you drive then?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 AM

I have wanted a diesel for forever, but not being made anymore, they pull a premium. When I bought my current car, the only thing available was a Isuzu Mu. My insurance company wanted an arm and leg to insure it so I bought a Daihatsu Move/ Perodua Kenari L902s, with the JB-DET engine from a Daihatsu Copen.