waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Water/Methanol database on specific model of cars > Your one-stop search for water/methanol injected cars

Old 01-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWarner
No photo, but it is mounted right after the IC and before a long straight section. The spary comes in at about 12 psi. I will be trying a 0.3mm jet soon.
I'd try the 0.4mm jet activated at 16psi. See how that goes.

Also if the AFRs at 16psi are way richer than 12:1 it will be hurting power.
You need to monitor that as well. 10-20% methanol helps reduce the surface tension of the water. Make sure you only use distilled water and pure methanol in the mix. Nothing else.

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 01-12-2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks John.

Richard - I'll be there at the time above, but should be able to stay much longer now if required.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 PM

I will watch this which much intresst as i still need to fit mine. Is you jet before or after the inlet temp sensor ?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Before - I have the Courtenay IC which has a long alloy pipe from the IC outlet. Also, I have bought the IC to plenum pipe from an Astra VXR which relocates this sensor further up tpwards the plenum - this is supposed to give better readings.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:07 PM

Can you let me know of what is your concluesion is after you have had a look on friday. cheers.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:22 PM

Had a good time at ERL today - many thanks Richard.

Richard plans to make an interface to go on the air flow meter signal wire which will be set to lean the mixture slightly when the WI is running. Should be interesting to see if it works. I confirmed with Courtenay Sport this evening that the map I have does go rich at the top end for extra cooling and knock resistence - so leaning it off and using WI may give good results.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:29 AM

When do you plan to do this ?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtal
When do you plan to do this ?
I will be the responsible to making things happen by designing the interface electronics to modified the MAF sensor. It will be a time well worth spending if the car can repond to the modification.

I have look at the car careful on Friday when Mike came. I am thinking of two other possibilities to trimming ignition and fuel, but MAF sensor seemed to be the obvious, if anyone have any suggestion, please chime in to help.

1) MAF sensor. MY ASSUMPTIOS: if the upper portion of air flow signal (on boost) can be scaled down so the fuel will be trimmed by the ECU. Since the engine is seeing lighter load, it might automatically put some timing advance. Plausible?

2) Air temperature sensor MY ASSUMPTIONS: if engine is seeing hotter air, it will trim fuel but it might also be retarding timing (not good). Suggestion?

3) Engine Coolant Sensor MY ASSUMPTIONS: when engine sees higher than normal coolant temperature, it should reduce fuel, but will it retard timing also?

Mike, I have a question. Have you ECU been reprogrammed? If so, what modifications was done? It might affect my work on your car. If a data looging facility is available, it will make life a great deal simplier.

WORK DONE TO DATE:
I have spliced in a from the MAF sensor to the cockpit so Mike can read the maximum MAF sensor voltage.

At idle the sensor reads 1.2-1.4V and increase to nearly 3V when throttle is blipped. Thas is what I have time for on Friday. Will update when more work is being done.

Richard
Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 AM

Richard, I have yet to test the voltage range. The ECU has been reprogramed and I confirmed with Courtenay Sport that the engine does run richer at the top end - but not overly so.

Today I re-disconnected the WI as the higher revs felt very flat and lifeless. I'll leave it off until will have a chance to play with it again.

I'm just trying to work out if it is better to put the jet before or after the air inlet temp sensor. If it is after, the inlet temp would be cooler than the sensor thinks. Would this not also lean off the mixture? Could be worth a try. Also, I heard WI kills these sensors, so could be worth doing just to save damaging it (about ?70 a throw).

It makes sense that fooling the ECU into thinking there is less air flow would reduce fuel and advance ignition - although I will try to confirm the latter.

Anyone know what a target lambda should be at the top end when running WI? Courtenay aim for around 0.78, but this is running rich. The WI will take the place of the extra fuel, so what should we aim for? 0.8?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Since the air temperature sensor is placed after the water spray, the cooling effect from the additional methanol will make the ECU think the air is much colder than this it. I would tend to re-position the sensor before the jet and perhaps you will notice a difference.

By working through one thing at a time, we can then have more consistant results. I think repositioning the ait temp/MAP sensor is the next thing to alter before anything else such as the MAF.

We normally aim for a lambda valve of 0.86 or 12.5:1 afr. Some engine can run lean and some reich, we shall see on your car. At prresent ypor afr is about 11.3 (0.78L) according to courtenays.

RECAP:
We have reduce the jet size form 0.5 to 0.4mm and added 25% methanol to water.
CONCLUSION:
The engine seemed to run flat and lifeless, it could be the extra cooling effect of methanol at lower air tamperature range as the methanol freezes at -90 degC and boil at 70 degC.

A BMW increased the methanol concentration from 25% to 50% and experience misfire - could be the reason for loss of performance.

Richard