waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Water + ethanol/isopropyl

Hello,

At the moment, I want to stay clear from Methanol and I am investigating alternatives.

Could someone please let me know which of the options below would be the best for my HSF3?

100% Water
95% Water & 5% Ethanol
75% Water & 25% isopropanyl

Any risks of damaging the hsf3 running ethanol/isopropanyl at the levels indicated above? Should I stick to 100% water if there is any potential for damage?

If there are any other non-toxic chemicals, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Water + ethanol/isopropyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat32 View Post
Hello,

At the moment, I want to stay clear from Methanol and I am investigating alternatives.

Could someone please let me know which of the options below would be the best for my HSF3?

100% Water
95% Water & 5% Ethanol

Any risks of damaging the hsf3 running ethanol/isopropanyl at the levels indicated above? Should I stick to 100% water if there is any potential for damage?

Thanks
Pat,

I wouldn't recommend using iso-p due to the following write-up (long)
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1707

I think ethanol is a good althernative to methanol but more expensive. If you go a de-natured alcohol (95% ethanol +ethanol), it will not much cheaper. HFS-3 will tolerate ethanol and methanol. But depend on the denaturant use on the de-natured alcohol, I cannot guarantee the effect.

Richard
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Pat,

I wouldn't recommend using iso-p due to the following write-up (long)
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1707

I think ethanol is a good althernative to methanol but more expensive. If you go a de-natured alcohol (95% ethanol +ethanol), it will not much cheaper. HFS-3 will tolerate ethanol and methanol. But depend on the denaturant use on the de-natured alcohol, I cannot guarantee the effect.

Richard
Thanks for the info Richard! Im trying to stay away from Methanol due to the health risks so trying to find a safer alternative.

Just to confirm, any level of ethanol is safe for use in the HSF3? (including the pump?) Its just a matter of the denature added? (usually methanol from what I can see)
ie. 50% methylated spirit (95-98% ethanol & 5-2% methanol) : 50% Water

Thanks again

edit: Stumbled across this; http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php...daa_industrial
Thats the closest I can get without requiring any licenses lol
Hopefully they dont charge too much :x

Last edited by Pat32; 04-05-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

If you vent the tank externally, I can't see there are any undue risks.

As far as I know, the wetted parts of HFS-3 is methanol/ethanol resistant. For long term usage, it will deteriorate. This will apply to any pump.This advice is given to us by Aquatec USA- our pump maker.

50:50 is much kinder. What other chemicals are in the methylated spriit? I am referring to the that ~1% denaturants.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Again, sorry to re-animate dead threads...

Is the issue with these mixtures to do with the formation of azeotropes? - I was also thinking about other alcohols that could be mixed with water; they are, after all, pretty similar (one alcohol functional group, and slightly different chains on the end).
However, one thing I noticed is that methanol has no azeotrope with water (in that if you mix them you don't get a "super solution" with properties different from either of the constituents), but ethanol, n/iso-propanol, x-butanol, etc all do.

So a methanol/water mixture can be separated back into methanol and water; each with its own boiling point (and therefore, I assume, heat capacity). However when you put isopropanol or ethanol into the mix you get an azeotrope with a much lower boiling point.

Similarly (because I've seen it in another thread) methanol and nitromethane form an azeotrope at 9% nitromethate; that will boil at a slightly lower temperature than methanol alone (and a lot lower than nitromethane alone).

This got me thinking; is there a way to make this work to our advantage? Perhaps a negative ternary azeotrope which is better than all the constituents...

...but it also occurs to me that I might be thinking too much, and that I should just stick to what it known to work.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat32 View Post
Hello,

100% Water
95% Water & 5% Ethanol

Thanks
G'day, Please help, What is HSF3.??? ... Does Water+Methanol provide a great

cooling effects to Engine Intakes.??? ... Is the Purpose of the Mix to, Eliminate

carbon buildup in combustion chambers.??? ... Or Increase Power.??? ... Reduce

the risk of detonation.??? ... Without a mass of Control/Adjustment for Tuning

Devices.??? ... or all of the Above.???

I Wish to Improve the life and longevity of my 2 Classic Cars, by adding a simple

Water/Alcohol injection System, I believe this to be Possible.!! ... Without a Pump, ... Any reason why it can't be Sucked in.???

Thanks

Last edited by OLD-N-GREY; 07-02-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: i didn't know a HSF3 was a pump