waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 PM

To quote the guy who posted the picture "I bought the turbo used and it already had the discoloration on the blades, other than that it was perfect. The turbo has never been run without an oem filter."

he had a filter.

he had this to say before the picture "This was with a .6mm jet placed about 12" before the compressor. "

Mist may not be as bad but I can tell you anything other than air hitting the compressor spinning at 80,000 rpm isn't going to be good for it. In steam powerplants they do not let the steam get to a point where it begins to condense because it erodes the turbine blades. Any particle, be it dust or water, will do damage to a blade at these speeds.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Steam powerplants are not the same - duty rate there is 100%.
Yet, they still use water mist to increase the efficiency of the plant (by 10-15% usually)

Here exposure to the mist is very infrequent, only when boost exceeds a specific value.
So the percentage of time the blade sees mist is quite tiny.

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Steam power plants do not inject water into the turbines as it would cool the steam and remove energy from it. The whole purpose of a steam turbine is to extract energy from steam. They do not however extract so much energy from the steam that it starts to condense in the turbine. Condensation is taken care of in the condensor or cooling towers. This is done to avoid erosion of the turbine blades. If they did extract so much energy from the steam that it did condense in the turbine, they could get more energy out of it. Since turbines for steam power plants are very very expensive, the extra energy extracted by allowing condensation in the turbine is not cost effective when the added expense of the turbine wear is considered.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 PM

My description wasn't accurate perhaps.
I did not mean to say 'steam power plants' but turbines for power generation

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 AM

I don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I have been squirting water/ windscreen wash/ methanol/ at various mixtures into the turbo compressor inlet since my last post on this thread. running methanol straight at pressure from the washer bottle pump adds about 4 psi of boost at full boost (18-20psi from 14-16 without) I use it to accelerate up hills without touching the accelerator, and am getting 47 mpg on 60mph cruises on the freeway. The added power is addictive. The only thing I am going to do to improve on this is a better container for the go juice that is boost referenced, as the power increase peters out in the higher boost range. Otherwise I have not damaged my turbo in any way that I have seen visually or in performance. This is my daily driver and I am into the Water injection every day while driving. Please keep in mind that this is a little dinky turbo, so damage to the compressor blade tips from large water droplets may be kept under control because of the their lower speed compared to a larger compressor that may be 4,5,6 times the circumference of this VW ecodiesel turbo.

Tony
88 Megasquirt Toyota Pickup
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Subaru
...I wanted to let everyone know that I have been squirting water/ windscreen wash/ methanol/ at various mixtures into the turbo compressor.... The added power is addictive.
It is indeed
Quote:
...Otherwise I have not damaged my turbo in any way that I have seen visually or in performance.
Same here. When I was running precompressor injection on my motorbike I saw no effect on the blades whatsoever.
I only got errosion when I started experimenting with 'free flow' airfilters. :cry:

Thanks for coming back with the results Tony :smile:

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM

No problem at all. There have been a lot of naysayers out there.
The results have encouraged me to go ahead with precompressor water injection on my turbo cosworth vega, which at this point is still waiting for fuel lines on a still unrun engine, now that I have a place to work, and my other projects are coming together, it should be a runner soon. I have a used Snow performance water injection kit. I think I should be able to tap into the MAP circuit on my Megasquirt fuel injection for a 5 volt signal for the water injection controller, which is supposed to take a MAF signal from a Mustang.

The only thing that I am concerned about is pooling in my airbox with velocity stacks that the outlet on my compressor is piped to, which feeds individual throttles to each of the four cylinders.
Do you think this is going to be a problem?
How about pooling in the tubing going to the airbox?
Any suggestions?

-Tony
Old 21-08-2007, 10:59 PM

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=174094#174094
Here are some pictures of my intake plenum, what is your opinion of pooling with this setup?

-Tony
Old 26-08-2007, 03:29 PM

don't think that because you have a small turbo, that it doesn't spin fast. It probably spins faster.

Could you post some pics of your nozzle setup, including position relative to the compressor face? If indeed you are not damaging your blades, then positioning may be key as to why. Many here have long held that spraying direct onto the blades is safe. A standing theory is that a river of fluid along the conduit wall is what causes blade damage.
Old 28-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Yes, it most certainly spins faster, but the speed at the outermost tip of the compressor blades is slow relative to one with a larger diameter, the latter I would imagine could be more prone to damage from impact with heavy droplets of water or alcohol. Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Tony