waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 17-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Intermittent HFS-3 Failure

Can you take a few pictures show the pump mount and the location of the pump relay cluster. I have reason to believe the issue id caused by the system not being in the trunk (inside cabin area).

Over the years, every relay and high current issues were pump installed on the outside of the cabin. I hope you are amongst the lucky ones that never had to report to me.
Old 21-02-2017, 11:13 PM

Unfortunately the system is installed in a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 2 passenger pickup so there isn't a trunk or anywhere else inside the cabin to install the system. Opening the factory relay showed burned points. Hopefully my replacement of the relay with a heavy duty waterproof unit will solve the problem. I'll let you know.
Old 22-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Also check the wiring underneath the relay, You may find some corrosion there also. A weather proof box is essential.

Good time to examine the pump bearings, undo four long bolts in the front of the pump and enable you to pull the pump head out.
Old 27-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Hello. I've have some new information. I installed an old fashioned in line amp meter into the pump supply line using #10 wire. What I found is that first thing in the morning when the throttle called for injection the ammeter shows a draw of about 55 amps meaning the pump is stalled. (I conclude the 55 amps as it will blow a 50 amp fuse but not a 60 amp). After driving around for 15 - 20 minutes the system will start working perfectly with a low current draw in the 3-10 amp range ... not easy to tell accurately using a old fashioned mechanical 100 amp ammeter. I understand your concern about corrosion. When I installed the replacement relay (waterproof) I used dielectric grease on all connections and then wrapped the relay and all connections in the aquamist system even though there was no evidence of corrosion or even moisture anywhere. Working on 4wd vehicles I have a good deal of experience keeping things dry and corrosion free. Examine the pump bearings? On an essentially new pump? I'm not opposed to pump disassembly, but what does that do to my warranty? I suppose the pump might have burned spots on the armature given the high current draw? What abvout the check valve? If it malfunctions will the pump stall in a deadhead condition?
Old 28-02-2017, 01:11 AM

pressure bypass valve, not check valve
Old 28-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The warranty is already void when the pump is installed outside the trunk area. You have nothing to loose to opening it up. I am upset for you as the "professionals" who installed the system did not read the warnings. The label is pasted in the inner flap of the box, not possible to miss it.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM

So when you say "check the bearings" what you are referring to is leaky seals, correct?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

This pump suffered the same symptoms as you were describing on the earlier post. Please open up the pump head and check.

There is an identical bearing inside the pump head.