waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMaurier 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
As the main panel is updated with FIA2 and HSV, the twin valve is now used to direct the water to perform two tasks, pre-turbo and port water injection. The water flow is progressive with fuel's DC or a third party WI map.

My set up is similar , but I have both HSV's , down stream each of the solenoids , so that they dont see my ystem pressure all of the time.
I would stick with HSV, we have found the valve seal is swelling up on the viton seals of those valves (possibily due to nitromethane). We have change those valves to HSV (EPDM seals).

The Purple valves are designed for air (bleed valve usage).
Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

A few more pictures of the skyline - just keeping things up to date.

A few more changes before the Saturday race - dynoing this week.

A close up picture of the battle-harden turbo before pre-turbo injection:

pre-cooler brackets in place:

Purple valves are replaced by HSV (due to seal swelling):

Picture taken above of the equal-length port injection haose with checkvalve:

A close-up version of the 1:4 splitter:

pre-turbo delivery hose via the air filter:

Dash switches to select WI operating mode.

View of the re-located twin pump cluster (temporary for race):

More to follow soon...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Those pre-compressor jets are far closer than I had imagined they would be, surely at high airflows most of the water will be kept close to the center of the compressor, or is that the point?

I like the way the hoses are fed through the filter aswell - that's 1 benefit of HKS mushroom filters I guess.

Andrew...
Old 10-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC
Those pre-compressor jets are far closer than I had imagined they would be, surely at high airflows most of the water will be kept close to the center of the compressor, or is that the point?

I like the way the hoses are fed through the filter aswell - that's 1 benefit of HKS mushroom filters I guess.

Andrew...
Yes, the idea was not to touch the outer section of compressor blade.
Old 16-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

After a hectic weekend, I have finally have a moment to scan the dyno chart of the dyno test on Skyline. The dyno plot was done on the afternoon before race.
Due to race regulation on the class, we could only run "pump fuel" so we filled the car up texico Super-unleaded -98 ron, straight fromn the pump.

We managed to get about 600 whp without any water, you can see the chart below (base.jpg):

The next thing we did was switch in the pre-turbo injection, a 0.3mm jet was placed in front of each trubo.
We immediate see the change of a/f ratio at 4250rpm - where the water is activated - the water rate
is proportional to the fuel injector's duty cycle. (system2d). 100% water was used.

Probably need someone to chime in to give some suggestion as to what was happening. At the sametime, a slightest knock was registered.
Here is a superimposed image of base (faint orange) + Pre-turbo only (full colour)

I will resize the others as soon as I have time:
1) port injection only chart
2) pre-turbo+port injection.
3) superimposed - chart of the above (two off)
4) pre-turbo+ Port injection with 50% methanol
5) superimosed of the above against base

Richard
Old 16-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Fascinating, and I'm looking forward to the diagnosis from the experts.

To the untrained eye it looks as if the biggest difference is in the reported AFR; is this an indication that the WI is affecting the lambda reading?

It looks as if there is slightly less back pressure at the top end with WI on, in other words less boost for the same torque, this is the sort of effect that was predicted. Personally I'd have hoped for a more dramatic effect, could it be that we are not seeing huge gains here because the turbo is adequately sized in the first place, and because it has an adequate intercooler?

It might be interesting to contrast this with a car that has an undersize turbo?

Also intrigued about the pinking. It's something I've noticed on mine and I have put it down to a lot of upstream evaporation i.e. the cooling effect of the water is being spent increasing charge density rather than suppressing in-cylinder knock.
Old 16-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The AFR is a strange one.

Just to confirm, the pre-turbo power run was done 20 minutes after the pump-fuel only run. No fuel or ignition trim.

We will be continuing the test in a week or two time - we will go for a bigger pre-turbo jet. I will also take a picture of the compressor wheel.

It has done a few power drag runs last week, achieving 10.591s - 0.1 seconds faster than last year (on race fuel)- the main run with launch control/anti-lag was abandoned after third/forth gear problem.

More drag results in three weeks.
Old 19-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Here is a better one.

Old 27-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I have just scanned and resized the port injection dyno plot below. This chart was running on "port-injection" only and NO pre-turbo injection.

Old 28-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Here is the last plot of the evening. When we run 50% methanol + some timing and fuel trim, the gain is more noticeable - still using the same jet sizes - Port +Pre-turbo. I think we have gained aother 33 horsepower. See the gain as soon as the injection starts. We pulled fuel to to run at .76 afr, but will work towards 0.8 and add 6 degress advance on timing. Will work out the stochiometeric value mixture before the next test.

The previous race fuel without WI yield 720whp. We hope to reach that target on the next session on pump fuel only.

Next: We will also move on to bigger jets as time permits very soon - we will also add a small amount of nitromethane to improve flame speed, at present, the timing is approachng the race fuel (a bit slow for 8K+ engine). Engine have to do more negative work if the timing is too advanced.