waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > In Cylinder Effects

Old 17-10-2003, 03:39 AM

Default Combustion effects from DIY-EFI

This cannot be referenced enough - the note and more importantly the details in the reference completely changed my understanding of the functioning of water in combustion even after I had been sold on WI for many years.

Bob Harris Note from Eric Fahlgren's not2fast site.

I am sure Bob meant to be to the point and brief but I find this part of Glassman's book in the same section very compelling and should be noted for those who do not have the reference:

Quote:
... thus one can conclude - correctly - that hydrocarbons inhibit the oxidation of CO.
It is apparent that in any hydrocarbon oxidation process CO is the primary product and forms in substantial amounts. However, substantial experimental evidence indicates the oxidation of CO to CO2 comes late in the reaction scheme. The conversion to CO2 is retarded until all the original fuel and intermediate hydrocarbon fragments have been consumed.
Combustion, Third Edition, Glassman, p. 76

This is why fuel dumping for knock suppression is inefficient and less effective than water mixture injection. And as Bob's original note points out water actually encourages the late stage conversion of CO to CO2.

Just an example of the type of discussions this forum section is meant for - since in my opinion it is one of the least understood effects of water injection - what is actually occuring during combustion.
Old 22-11-2003, 05:49 AM

You've obviously done alot more research on this subject than I have. That note is encouraging, and would also help explain the greater efficiencies with regards to emissions.

If it wasn't such a PITA to keep 2 tanks full, I'm quite certain the major auto manufacturers would have already developed a simple system for mainstream production.
Old 22-11-2003, 06:43 AM

They are getting performance people used to the idea now with more and more production and performance arms of companies including water spray. The idea of keeping a water tank full will seep into their subconscience. Of course when they are as well thought out as my STi with the water tank right inside the trunk next to the gas filler it makes it easier than when I was filling the washer resevoir.
Old 23-11-2003, 01:06 AM

That's where I had my tank, for the same reason.

I recall a supertuner competition in a major auto magazine a couple years ago. No forced induction entries were allowed, but WI was. All but 2 entries used WI in the competition. That speaks well of it's benefits from a performance standpoint.

I should try to find that article so you can post a link to it in your library.