waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 26-08-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Jaguar XKR install

Paramount Performance's (UK) first attempt on an Aquamist 1s system+

Old 03-09-2004, 06:35 PM

Installating the jets:

Old 04-09-2004, 10:20 AM

If the water pump has to be placed on a level higher than the water tank, this following method may be used to assist the WI pump from creating priming problems after running dry.

In the event of the pump run dry, one can always activate the screen washer during boost to push water into the dry-up water injection pump.

You are increase the water flow if you activate the washer lever during WI.

Inline valve drive circuit:

Old 18-09-2004, 01:02 AM

If I'm looking at this right, the WI is between the supercharger and the intercooler bricks, isn't that a rather strange place to put it? Upstream of the supercharger would have improved rotor sealing, downstream of the chargecoolers would seem to offer better overall cooling. In the middle just seems ... a little strange?
Old 18-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The installation is a compromise of the two.

The car is a city driven car, the brick are very hot during stop and go conditions, the WI''s jet is to give the brick some cooling when throttle is snapped open.

The efficience of bricks are vehicle speed related but water isn't.

Your are correct to point put that ideally the water jet should be placed after the bricks. But it will make the installation a great deal more complex.
Old 18-09-2004, 12:48 PM

That's fascinating. I'm in the process of adapting the XKR system to a Rover V8 conversion, and I've been wondering about putting some of the fuel upstream of the blower in part load conditions. My reasoning is that a small amount of evaporative cooling over a long period could do a lot to combat heat soak. I don't know how effective it would actually be, but if the phenomena of carb icing is anything to go by it might lower the temperature of the whole induction system significantly. If it worked, this ought to give the supercharger a lot more punch when it comes on boost. So far it's only a theory, do you know of anyone who has tried it?
Old 18-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Putting a small nozzle upstream of the supercharger is very effective.

If you are cruising at medium to high speed whilst the throttle opening is small, The heat gererated by the S/C's step-up gears and bearing, coupling with air/rotor surface heat riase due to friction is quite surprising high - it can reach 100C+!! Once the throttle is opened wide, the increase air flow brings the charge temperature down drasticly but it wil take a few seconds.

The first pocket of high temperature air entering the combustion chamber will more than likely to set -off a detonation sequence and it will normally continue. The engine's knock controller will immediately take action and retard the timing and the power loss is immenent. All this happens within a second or so but it will take time for the engine management to re-advance the timing to re-gain performance.

The way to overcome this condition is to prevent it from happening in the first place. A small trickle of water upstream of the S/C in the region of 75-100cc/min will acheive this cooling effect.

Great care has to be taken in winter when you spray water/menthanol mix onto a large surface area of the rotor, it will freeze and ruin you S/C for good. It is better to disable this spray system in cold winters wirth sub-zero temperatures.
Old 18-09-2004, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L

Great care has to be taken in winter when you spray water/menthanol mix onto a large surface area of the rotor, it will freeze and ruin you S/C for good. It is better to disable this spray system in cold winters with sub-zero temperatures.
Ooh, that's a failure mode I hadn't considered! So, if cooling from upstream fuel injection manages to pull the s/c rotor temperature below the freezing point of my WI mix, then the injected water might freeze inside the s/c when I come on boost. From the sound of it, that could be nasty! I think I will have to monitor the s/c temperatures while cruising with upstream fuelling enabled, and see whether the s/c temperature is getting low enough for this to be an issue. A water/antifreeze mix turns to mush rather than solid ice when it freezes; do you suppose this would still put the s/c at risk?
Old 18-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Two factors may make the w/a mix more likely to freeze up. Even the temperature is not low enough to freeze the w/a in you tank, the following conditions may make it more probable.

1. Sudden pressure drop of the mixture on the point of deivery (exiting the jet) will facilite the mix to freeze in mid air.

2. When the mix hits the cold rotor surface, it will increase the wetted surface area, the methanol (freezing point at -90C) will evaporate further and drop the mix further, the mixture will freeze solid.

I learnt that experience last winter when I sprayed washer fluid (with anti-freeze) onto the screen, as soon as the wiper spread the mix across the screen surface, the entire screen freezed up - have to stop and clean the screen by hand. I felt quite stupid.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:43 AM

Our shop mainly works on Jags... so I have spent many hours staring/working on these systems. One BIG question. How come not just remove the intercooler coolant system and seperate it from the engine coolant? I have a VW Cabby and building a refrigerated coolant system for the intercooler... At a water temp of 40 degrees F, we should see a HUGE drop. And while this is a complex setup, one could easily use something akin to a fuel chiller instead. Jag has these on lots of the older (pre 95) cars, they plumb into the ac refrgerant for cooling.

Would this still have the potential to be an issue freezing up the rotors? Obviously placment of water jets would be EXTRA critical... And do I need to be worried about freezing issues running an ic system with such a low coolant temp? (turbo, jet mounted after ic.)