waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 05-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Re: LSJ Cobalt/Ion Redline ECU pinout

Yes, I do.

The bypass will default to fully open. In the beginning of modding this engine, people would disconnect the solenoid to "bypass" PCM boost control to get more boost.
The LSJ fuel system does not have a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, meaning that fuel pressure is not increased to keep up with boost pressure. 0 psi boost and 15 psi boost have the same fuel pressure.

What else do you need to know about the system? I can start a thread asking questions on cobaltss.net.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Give me the technical on how the bypass valve operates:
The valve consists of a butterfly inside the supercharger housing. Its position is determined by an external valve (a black canister on the front right side of the housing) that is operated off of engine vaccum. The valve inside is a rubber diaphram which lifts up a lever system to open the valve, at rest it is in a down and closed position. A vaccum source from a 3 way T ontop of the supercharger creates a vaccum on this diaphram to open the valve on startup. Once the throttle blade is opened and the supercharger starts to move more air into the intake manifold, this vaccum encounters a counter force. Running off the same vaccum line that fees the MAP sensor and fuel pressure regulator, this build of pressure in the intake manifold will feed into the top of the bypass valve from the opposite side. Upon a certain pressure off the intake manifold, an equilibrium will be created with the vaccum from the supercharger inlet that had held the bypass valve open. Upon this equilibrium, this bypass valve will close, and eventually a positive pressure will be created to keep the bypass valve closed. At this point, the intake manifold is sealed, free of major vaccum leaks and a positive pressure can be created by the supercharger aka boost.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I tried to make sense of it all. So far the term valve is used many times so it is confusing for me.

These are the items:
1. Electronic solenoid valve (PWM'ed by ECU)
2. Wastegate actuator/cannister (= external valve)
3. Valve (= butterfly)
4. Bypass valve is the term used to describe the combination of 1, 2, and 3.

But I need to know a few more things:
1. How many ports does the solenoid valve have?
2. Where do they go to?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Pic 1

Pic 2

There is a solenoid on the outside of the blower(seen attached to the blower in pic 1, on the lower right side, also top right of Pic 2). It has two vacuum ports (you can see both in Pic 1), one to atmosphere and one to pre-blower vacuum. It also has an electronic connection controlled by the PCM. It rotates a plate ("valve", gold piece in Pic 2). It connects the pre-blower(after throttle body and before blower rotors) and post blower (see the blue circle piece sticking out the left side of the intake manifold in the first pic). When it opens, it allows post blower air (from the intake manifold) back up to the blower inlet (before the blower) allowing less or no boost to be made. As RPMS increase, the valve will close, allowing more boost to actually get to the engine.

Last edited by Dust; 05-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Please clarify the ?

1a ............ to ?
1b ............ to ?

2 ............. to ? Is this the solenoid? One port?
2a ................ to ? Is this the connector to the ECU or a hose?

3 ............ wastegate
4.............. bypass butterfly.... Shut = full boost. Open = no boost
Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 AM

Apologies Richard, I misspoke above. What I am reading about parts and what is happening with the pics are not always matching up. We're figuring this out together. The electronic portion is a separate piece, labeled as the bypass solenoid in the diagram. No.1 is the Bypass actuator.

Real Pic

Diagram

1a pre blower vacuum port just downstream
1b leads to the bypass solenoid, and then to the intake manifold.

2 - It's the IC pump, different circuit.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Howerton Engineering

I could be wrong, but this looks to be similar to the unit we use on the MINI. Is the bypass actuator spring loaded?

Ours works in this way: There is a spring that holds the valve shut. Engine vacuum pulls on the diaphragm, countering the spring and pulling the valve open into "bypass" mode.

So when you start the car, the valve is closed proving positive flow though the TB into the engine. Once the engine starts, vacuum pulls the valve open. As the TB is opened more air is allowed into the blower, which is more than the engine can digest, creating a positive pressure allowing the valve to shut.

On the MINI you need a positive vacuum source to open the valve during boost to provide a failsafe in this manner.

Again, there could be something else going on here I'm not seeing.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Can you take a picture of the bypass solenoid?

There should be 3 ports and a electrical connector. Let me know how many pins on the connector (2?)
Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Jeff, thanks for chiming in.

From your description of the mini, there are no solenoid valve?

There is a label (pic above) shows a solenoid valve for this set up. I just need one more picture of this part and all will be clear.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 PM

Jeff, that is the way I have been reading it works. Like above, it was posted on the internet so a certain amount of salt should be applied.
The electrical connector I will check on at lunch. It's sitting at home because we had some bad weather and the DD has traction control. Looking at your 1ab 2a picture it's just to the left of the throttle body.

The bypass solenoid I am seeing online is this

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecot...17617C594.aspx

You can barely see the second port behind the filter.

Last edited by Dust; 06-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.