waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 22-07-2004, 07:03 AM

Default WI For Jetta TDI

I've haven't seen this posted before so I thought I'd post. I have a 2001 Jetta TDI. It's highly modded as far as TDIs go. I have upgraded the injectors (PP502, for those who are interested), and the full Upsolute Stage 3 kit (GT20 turbo, bigger manifold, FMIC, custom s/w). The car smokes more than I would like and I would like to tone the smoke down and also benefit from the addition of WI. Would adding a WI system help with my smoke, will I gain additional power, and if I do install this, is it better to install pre or post turbo?

Thanks for your input.
Old 20-08-2004, 05:20 AM

Anyone????
Old 21-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Default choices

The diesel tractor pull folks use water injection as a must have to be competative without melting engines. They inject either or both before and after the turbo.

The pre-turbo injection is easier to do as it can be done with a low pressure 35 psi RV water system 12V pump like the flojet LF122202A.

My understanding is that the way they tune the tractors is by watching the color of the exhaust smoke and the ideal amount of WI is when their exhaust turns gray. If it goes white they are running too much water.

Some guys have run water injection on the diesel pickups and have found that diesels "LOVE" water methanol mixes. They can make so much power they can't keep head gaskets in the engines if they get too carried away with high alcohol percentages.

If I was in your shoes I would probably try a low methanol mix like 25% methanol / water injected pre-turbo for minimum hassel.

You want a fine mist injected some reasonable distance ahead of the turbo (mine is about 24 inches on my WRX), max flow on the nozzle should be around 3% by weight of the turbines max air flow rate.

Keep in mind here I have not done this on a diesel but thats my understanding from looking into this a bit.

If you do a google search on:
+diesel +"water injection" +methanol

you will probably find some of the diesel truck sites where the guys are experimenting with this sort of thing.

Larry