waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM

HI wet1 Hi Richard

Well I hope that it won't be just a dream... also something moooore... :smile: It is almost all what there was on to say about the topic... except from the price and how to get Alcohols for big engines... but I'm also working on... Prometeus never stops!!!

Good news when I'll get Back... Something that sounds like Kane 's spot: "I'm Baaaaaack...." :wink:

Regards
Daniele
Old 13-11-2005, 01:19 PM

Hi new to this forum, but a query for Richard.

I see mention of Shurflo pumps, and of course your own Aquamist pump here.

I have fitted one Snow kit to a friends Subaru, and from what I gather it runs much higher pressure ( up to 200psi ) and appears to have much greater flow ability than the aquamist pump. I think the Shurflo is capable of flowing more than 1000cc/min, which I think they claim is a good number to start with for an engine making in excess of about 500bhp ??

In a large capacity engine, or a high powered one, where you intend using 100% meth, can a normal aquamist pump compare with a shurflo for flow ?

I ask, as I already have an aquamist setup on my engine ( supercharged 5.7 LS1 ), currently with 2 x 0.5mm jets, and I am running quite a high concentration of meth. Dont know exact quantity though, as when not racing, i would dilute with water again to a degree.. Pump is quite old, but so far seems to be working.
Any flow data Ive seen for the pump, seem to suggest its only capable of around 400cc/min or so ??

I was intending to upgrade to a Snow kit, but if I could get the same results with a single aquamist pump, it would make things a lot easier for me, rather than having to fit a completely new system.
Old 14-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Welcome Stevieturbo,

The shurflo pump is capable of more than 2 litre per minute - almost most capable of the car's fuel pump. We do use Shurflo pump for high flow applications as our pump can only flow 330cc/min or so. If you take into account that water has 6 times the latent heat of fuel, it is almost equivalent to injectind 1.8 litre of fuel into the engine for incylinder cooling purposes.

A 350HP engine requires about 1.8 litre/min of fuel, putting 330cc/min of water is the almost the same as running 7.5 air/fuel ratio.

If you are using 100 methanol instead of water, you need to inject twice as much alcohol to water by mass, or 2.5 times as much by volume. If alcohol is solely used for incylinder cooling purposes, then it is the wrong liquid to use. Aquamist is solely design of water inejction purposes, but people do use it for upto 50% methanol injection.

Most alcohol injection system is used for the purposes of supplimenting the fuel and octane boost, but have encountered some tuning problems since mentioned system can not be mapped accurately, so air/fuel/methanol (afm) is not easily predictable.

Trimming the fuel to make room for methanol is one way to make it work, but if the system were to break down or encounter the slighest nozzle clog, the result can be catastrophic. It is much easier to add alcohol to your fuel tank and risking some inbalance of flow into each cylinder by using one nozzle in the inlet tract.

If you want to inject 100% alcohol, we can build you a system that will do that, based on the Shurflo pump and HSV and port injection - flowrate sensing on each set of nozzle to minimise any inbalance of flow to each cylinder. You will also be responsible to map the system on a dyno to get the best out of the set up. In the end, it is far cheaper to just to remap your engine based on bigger fuel injectors running E85 fuel.

If you want to go with the existing aquamist pump, you can use a priming pump to bring the flowrate upto 600cc/min. We have tested a 3 bar priming pump on a 1s system, we got 570cc/min out of the aquamist pump. I am sure if you use a headlamp washer pumpm, it will produce more, relatively inexpensibe way to improve the flow of the aquamist pump.

If you have a 2d/2c system, I can help you yo interface it with the shurflow pump.

I believe the following thread mention this:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Hi new to this forum, but a query for Richard.

I see mention of Shurflo pumps, and of course your own Aquamist pump here.

I have fitted one Snow kit to a friends Subaru, and from what I gather it runs much higher pressure ( up to 200psi ) and appears to have much greater flow ability than the aquamist pump. I think the Shurflo is capable of flowing more than 1000cc/min, which I think they claim is a good number to start with for an engine making in excess of about 500bhp ??

In a large capacity engine, or a high powered one, where you intend using 100% meth, can a normal aquamist pump compare with a shurflo for flow ?

I ask, as I already have an aquamist setup on my engine ( supercharged 5.7 LS1 ), currently with 2 x 0.5mm jets, and I am running quite a high concentration of meth. Dont know exact quantity though, as when not racing, i would dilute with water again to a degree.. Pump is quite old, but so far seems to be working.
Any flow data Ive seen for the pump, seem to suggest its only capable of around 400cc/min or so ??

I was intending to upgrade to a Snow kit, but if I could get the same results with a single aquamist pump, it would make things a lot easier for me, rather than having to fit a completely new system.