waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 12-02-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Intermittent HFS-3 Failure

Hello. I have a HFS-3 in a 2004 Toyota 3.4L with a Magnuson supercharger (8-10 pound boost) and UDR 7th injector system, headers etc.etc. After install of the HFS-3 with all system checks everything worked perfectly. Went next to dyno guy for a tune and the truck ran Great! ... for a couple of weeks as a daily driver. For no reason whatsoever the gauge bargraph stopped showing any flow. The S is still lit and the pump is running. Full throttle causes the HBE lite to come on and the water level light as well, even when the tank is full. The first time I had this problem I went through the install check list and system checks to discover no flow from the nozzle... I thought plugged nozzle? but no, put it on the bench with a 55psi fuel pump and it flowed just fine. Reinstalled the nozzle on the truck and the system started working again! Figured it was plugged and I dislodged the dirt somehow and called it good. Thought it was a bit strange that there was dirt in the system as it had been flushed and has an additional full-flow Earl's fuel filter installed (designed for alcohol dragster). Now a month and three tanks full gas later the problem is back exactly like before. This time checking the pump, and jet make no difference. I've checked for air in the system and changed the jet ... I suspect the switch/FAV but thought I would ask you guys because there is no telling when it will magically start working again. I'm glad the average temperature is in the 30s (F) as the system doesn't have any fail-safe map switch over available. But there is no sign of knock as long as I drive without WOT or allow it to bog. Probably must get this figured before summer tho as here in Nevada at 4500' altitude it does get to 100+F and the best gas available is 91 octane. Your advice is really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 13-02-2017, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Intermittent HFS-3 Failure

New information: After showing the above symptoms for a couple of days, now whatever is failing has dropped functionality further ... no more self test or flow light, the only thing that happens when I start the truck is the water level light comes on for 5 seconds or so and nothing else ... no other lights at all. I've checked all the wiring ... unplugged and re-plugged the switch/FAV etc. and nothing changed. I'm not driving it today so I have to wait until after work to troubleshoot further ... unusual how the system worked perfectly after install and has gradually come to this ...
Old 13-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Interesting case.

Can you tell me a bit about the history of the system and serial number etc, who supplied and installed your system. Post a wiring diagram you followed would be helpful.

Need to go back to basics. Do you have a digital voltmeter so I can help your with the diagnostic work.
Old 13-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Can you unplug the blue harness and let me know if the system restarts.
Old 15-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Hello thanks for the response. HFS2/3-v3.1 Serial: 102770 Fluke 88 multimeter. I got some time to work on the system and discovered the 20 amp fuse in the main power relay was blown. I replaced the relay and installed an inline fuse holder in a 10 gauge supply line off the battery. Turned it on and it is back to working perfectly. However there is no hint as to why the fuse failed. When I first started the system the fuse was popped ... ... I replaced the fuse and it hasn't failed again until yesterday. Maybe another problem, maybe it's all related ... The system-working-except-no-flow-problem has occurred a couple of times when the pump is working. A flow check at the FAV shows I've got fluid under pressure to the FAV but the gauge doesn't show anything and if I pull the jet while its running there is no fluid. This implies the controller isn't calling for flow or the FAV is getting a call and it isn't responding ... but I've got no way to test further as the system is working perfectly. Every time I've purged the system by pulling the FAV jumper it works perfectly and you can hear the pump go quiet ... all normal, except when there is no flow. Ideas?
Old 15-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Just reread your questions ... the system was supplied by
Underdog Racing Development, LLC
P.O. Box 39
Huntingtown, MD 20639
USA

Toll-Free: (877) 887-3872
Local: (410) 260-0200
Fax: (410) 630-5011

The system was professionally installed 01.16.17
Old 15-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Where is the water pump located?
Old 15-02-2017, 10:21 PM

At the front of the truck below the tank
Old 16-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

So the pump is installed in the engine bay?
Old 16-02-2017, 06:35 PM

Nope it is installed outside the truck in the space available in the hollow area of the front bumper. It is covered from the weather but has all ventilation being in the airflow ahead of the radiator. It is installed vertically with the hose connections on the bottom. It is fed fluid from the stock washer tank (new). The output of the tank is approximately 6" above the pump. The pump/system is currently powered and grounded with #10 wire directly to the battery through the supplied loom although the power relay/fuse was replaced as I previously mentioned. Maybe there is something in the pump or pressure relief valve causing a high current draw? Maybe whatever was in the pump ... (if there was ever anything there in the first place) has been washed out? At this point I don't think its a good idea to try anything unless you have got some ideas based on your years of dealing with these systems ... I'm planning to wait for the next failure ... impossible to troubleshoot a system that's working!