waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Default VW R32 Turbo Direct port set up <--- of course Aquamist F

So, I have promised Richard that I would come on here and post up the results of our install on a custom turbo set up we did on a VW R32. We are an Aquamist dealer here in Connecticut, USA. We specialize in building custom turbo systems for European cars.

We began with an HFS-5 system and added some parts from there. We went with a direct port set up w/ a 7th jet pre-TB. This will give us the best of both worlds, direct port for ideal anti-detonation, and pre-TB for charge air cooling. Just got the car fully assembled and out on the road today. We will fully tune the car and then turn the w/m on and begin spraying at about 10psi. We will add as much timing as it will allow. Target is about 20psi for now, and with the size of the turbo we used we should be at roughly 500whp. On to the pictures.

The intake manifold I built uses thin wall runners so I had to weld on some bungs. If your manifold has thicker walls you could go ahead and tap the runners directly.

I left the bungs "blank" and welded them on

Then machined them all to the same height

Then drilled and tapped them all

Finished product with plumbing installed
The 6 jets are .3mm

We had to mount the pump and reservoir up front because the customer had some custom stereo equipment occupying the hatch area. This is not exactly advised by Aquamist, but hopefully everything will be OK.

Remote filler

High speed valve

Flow meter

Here is the 7th nozzle (.8mm) mounted on the charge pipe pre-TB. Also note the installation of a check valve. This is to prevent the lines from emptying when the plenum is in vacuum and the pipe is not.

Jet sizes were calculated using injector size.
We are running 6 x 850cc injectors.
Our duty cycle is only about 60% (estimated) for now. We will use 90% for the calculations though as we have plans to make upwards of 700WHP in the future, which is why we chose such large injectors.

Calculated as follows: 6 x 850 x .9= 4590cc total flow

Using 15% W/M flow as a base line, we need ~700cc of W/M

(1) .8mm jet gives us about 364cc at 100Psi (125psi pump pressure - estimated 25psi of boost)
(6) .3mm jets give us about 360cc at 100Psi
Total= 724cc/min.
This should be close enough.

We wanted to be able to make the system turn on at an exact pressure. So we decided to use the enable by MAP option. We did this so if the customer is just cruising around town he can have the boost controller off and not have the meth. turn on. We will make the system turn on at about .5psi higher than the waste gate spring, which should be about 10psi.

The car is MAF based and therefore has no MAP sensor from the factory. Instead of wiring in an automotive generic one, we aquired an industrial unit. You supply it 12 volts and it outputs a 0-5v signal. This one is a 0-30psi unit with a proof of 60psi.

You can see it on the right side of the manifold in this picture

Here is the custom installed HKS EVC boost controller

Here are some shots of the fully assembled turbo system we designed and installed. Most of the parts were made in house, including the full exhaust, intake manifold, piping, etc. For people who don't know the car it is a VW R32. 24V 3.2L 15? V6 (or VR6) that makes roughly 260BHP naturally aspirated. This car did not come with a turbo from the factory. It is equipped with a 4 wheel drive system. We added front and rear limited slip differentials just in case . It has a stg. 5 custom made clutch, full Moton remote reservoir suspension as well as many other goodies.

I will post back with results as we get further into tuning it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I have to thank Richard for all his help, he and his company are truly stand up people and one of the best to deal with in the industry. He will go above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied!

Sleepers Performance
Hamden, CT USA

www.sleepersperformance.com
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM

BTW, this car is retaining the factory engine management system.

We re-map the Bosch ME7 ECU. Need to increase the MAF tube dia. from ~3" to 4" though to be able to read more than double the stock flow :lol:

Sleepers Performance
Hamden, CT USA

Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Nicely done, your water rail looks similar to mine, like the idea of feeding it from the middle. I have a checkvalve at the rail and it takes a second or so to fill the rail and start delivering to the cylinders, worth thinking about. The rail will still empty due to the difference in pressure in the runners under vacuum, so everytime you turn the water on you`ll have a delay.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Have you tested flow balance with your configuration? Would cylinder's 3 & 4 receive more fluid than the other cylinders? I use the enlarged maf in Nissan's all the time, it's amazing what a stock ecu and some ingenuity can do.....
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmac
Nicely done, your water rail looks similar to mine, like the idea of feeding it from the middle. I have a checkvalve at the rail and it takes a second or so to fill the rail and start delivering to the cylinders, worth thinking about. The rail will still empty due to the difference in pressure in the runners under vacuum, so everytime you turn the water on you`ll have a delay.
Thank you! Your approach to the direct port rail was actually a big inspiration for mine. I think I may add another check valve before the rail now that you mention it.

Sleepers Performance
Hamden, CT USA

Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardd
Have you tested flow balance with your configuration? Would cylinder's 3 & 4 receive more fluid than the other cylinders? I use the enlarged maf in Nissan's all the time, it's amazing what a stock ecu and some ingenuity can do.....
Well, I have not done any actual flow comparisons, but running the system on the bench,

the spray coming from the 6 looked identical. I do not think it will be an issue. The shurflow pump flows plenty. The .3mm jets are tiny and the pump is capable of outputting 2l/min at 125 psi, so the fluid should be getting forced out of any location it can. I know center feed fuel rails work well, so i kind of just thought of it like a fuel rail.

We'll see though. I can view knock on all 6 cylinders of the motor, so I should know if there is an issue.

larger MAF is the only way! Yes, most stock ECU's are extremely capable. The ME7 for instance has full wideband control. There are not even many SEM's that have this ability.

Sleepers Performance
Hamden, CT USA

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM

I was running just over 2.2 liter fuel per min on full boost and found 1.2l/min 75% methanol 25% water mix worked best for me on my 3l V6 TT, used for knock control with higher boost settings (put it down to octane limited UK fuel, 97 RON).

You`ll need a failsafe if you`re running it as an additional fuel and trimming the petrol off as a result, for me if the afr dips leaner than 11.5:1 power is cut to my boost controller and the car goes back to wastegate perssure which is a safe part of the map (no methanol injection). This is driven by the Wideband control so is totally seperate from the WI setup.

Very nice intake manifold, the car should go like a rocket when you`ve mapped it on higher boost!.
Old 23-03-2008, 01:20 AM

Not questioning your ability to judge flow at all, but it might be a good idea to find some small glasses to put under the runners and turn on the pump. Block the top plenum at the runners, and see how much water you get out of each runner.