waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 23-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Default Do I have a faulty relay? ::fixed::

I was following the priming instructions, but I do not get power to the pump. I checked the connections with a multimeter. First of all, I have verified my ground and I have 12v from the battery. At the relay connections, I have verified 12V from the battery and 12V from the controller box while the jumper is in SYS position. The output of the relay shows 0V, but I believe it should be 12V when the signal from the controller box is 12V. Do I understand this correctly?

See this youtube video for a demonstration of my measurements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61NKGOpdBtk

I purchased 2 kits during the GB, one for myself and one for a friend. With your input, I will try using my friend's relay (he is not installing his system for another week or two). Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 23-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Do I have a faulty relay?

For the relay to work, the thin blue wire must be grounded. You can use a short piece of jumper wire to ground to fire-up the relay.

You can also activate the spray and pump by using the onboard jumper link (TEST). Make sure the level switch is disconnected or fill the tank up first.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
For the relay to work, the thin blue wire must be grounded. You can use a short piece of jumper wire to ground to fire-up the relay.

You can also activate the spray and pump by using the onboard jumper link (TEST). Make sure the level switch is disconnected or fill the tank up first.
I'm not sure I understand... everything is wired per the wiring diagram, and I see only 2 ground connections; one is off the pump and the other is off the controller. The trunk harness is connected to the controller, which is powered up. The INJ jumper is moved to SYS.

If I understand correctly, you are telling me to temporarily connect the blue wire to ground to activate the relay. Is this instruction for priming only? How will the relay function in normal operation if I remove said temporary ground? I assumed the ground would go through the harness and controller box.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The jumper wire is only for a quick test for the relay. I watched your video and saw the blue wire is not grounded so I suspect the pronblem may lie in the harness, RJ connector or the controller.

So I suggested manually testing the relay first. One step at a time.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
The jumper wire is only for a quick test for the relay. I watched your video and saw the blue wire is not grounded so I suspect the pronblem may lie in the harness, RJ connector or the controller.

So I suggested manually testing the relay first. One step at a time.
Thanks for the clarification, I'll give that a shot tonight!
Old 24-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Red face Re: Do I have a faulty relay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I'll give that a shot tonight!
Well it was user error, and now I feel stupid. I think either the wiring harnesses were loose in the controller box, or I may not have had the gauge turned on. The relay works fine; I got the pump primed today.
Old 24-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Now I can go to bed.

Pictures please!
Old 25-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Not the best install, but here are some pikatures: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...2429#post12429

On to the next question/issue... I am not seeing as much flow as I expect. I have my turbo set to wastegate pressure at the moment, 15psi, which is approximately 50% IDC (I have 4x630cc fuel injectors). I turned the threshold all the way down (12%) and the gain at first to default 1:1, then all the way clockwise, which I believe is +50%. With the SC cranked all the way to the right, I show no more than 3 bars. I'm using the 1.0mm jet with a .7 restrictor in the FAV. The flow sensor is securely clipped to the only place it fits, on the outlet side of the FAV.

Also, when I short the SYS jumper, the gauge does not show any flow from the flow sensor, even though I can see a nice conical spray from the jet.

When I primed the pump, it was not "silent" as the instructions stated it should have been. It sounded like my HFS-1 always sounded. It's loud enough to notice when the motor isn't running, but not loud enough to hear in the cabin, when the motor is running.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Do I have a faulty relay? ::fixed::

The installation is good especially how you managed to tuck the pump into a cramped space.

The bar display on the gauge has to calibrated by using the SC potentiometer. Show three bars is about right. The default full scale display of 8-bars (12 o'clock) is set for 3x 1mm jets.

Put the SC to about 2-3 o'clock, you should se 5-6 bars. If you wish to have more flow, use two jets.

I am not sure why the gauge did not show bars under the manual test condition. Please take a picturte of how the FAV is installed.

It is difficult to gauge the loudness of the pump, but if it jumps around, it is not well primed. I guess your pump is well primed by now.
Old 25-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Do I have a faulty relay? ::fixed::

Quote:
The bar display on the gauge has to calibrated by using the SC potentiometer. Show three bars is about right. The default full scale display of 8-bars (12 o'clock) is set for 3x 1mm jets.

Put the SC to about 2-3 o'clock, you should se 5-6 bars. If you wish to have more flow, use two jets.
My potentiometer settings are as follows:

SC: Maximum (fully clockwise)
Threshold: Minimum (fully counterclockwise)
GAIN: Maximum (fully clockwise)

With these settings, I see the 3 bars. With SC at 12 o'clock I see one bar only.

I ran out of water on the way to my office this morning, but I'll fill her up over the lunch hour and do some more tests with a higher FIDC%

FAV location pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0408.jpg (90.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (92.1 KB, 63 views)