waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 22-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Can I use HFS-2 instead of HFS-3 for my 335i setup ?

I have spoken to Cobb on this, not in too many words, I believe CEL will automatically reset on key recyling on cobb tunes.

We have a few systems installed on flash tunes but does next to nothing on power. In order to take advantage on meth, one has to load in a meth map or race gas map. I have only started to look into the current offerings from varies flash tunes for the 335i. Until this is a reality, we cannot claim or expect any power improvement with our system.

Flash tune companies' main audiance is the daily driver group and not too adventurous on maxing out the performance on all fronts compared to piggy-back user. Until their audience demands more, they are not going to risk their low risk business model and reputation on a few people who are willing to take risks on their behalf.

What is your reason to opt for a flash tune rather a piggy back?
Old 23-09-2011, 01:11 AM

I picked a flash tune because of it's ease in removal, without any trace, as my car is still within the factory warranty. Yes I know piggybacks can be removed also but it take 20 minutes vs 5 minutes w/Cobb and without turning a screw.

Note: As of ~4:00pm CDT today Cobb released Stage 2 to the public. They did not release the race gas map.... yet. When they do, myself and quite a few others will be anxious to get it and give it a go. I will need meth to run this on any kind of daily or weekend basis.
Old 23-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

It is amazing how ease of installation swings the vote.

Things are looking up for the Cobb camp. I wonder how long it will take Cobb to be comfortable with the final stage 2 version. Only then, they will consider launching race or meth map. I think they are taking a very sensible approach.

I wonder if stage 2 is still targeting load.
Old 27-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Yes, from what I read they are still targeting load but with some "tweaks".

Q: Can I purchase an HFS-3 for my 335i N54 from you with the new bumper mount bracket now? Or do I have to wait?

Now with Cobb Stage 2 out pushing higher boost I really need to add meth/water injection and a progressive system based on boost level will be fine. I can always add a FSB later. What do you think?
NOTE: I will be using my WW tank and tap into that. It holds 1.5 gals and has a built in low lever warning.

Last edited by maxman; 27-09-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I suspect this is one simple way to improve the stage one map. If this is the case, I think cobb may have lifted the target boost than the OE intended and allow higher boost and slight timing advance. Will you be able to do a comparaison log between the stage1 and stage 2?

The HFS3-v2 has a few more features than you expect, I will outline a few:

1. It already has an 100% meth turbine base flow sensor included. No need to add FSB anytime.

2. It will automatically cut boost by interrupting one or two BCV should the system loose prime, no flow, over flow and power failure.

3. The system can ber configured to work as follows:
- Triggered by IDC, progressive with IDC %
- Triggered by Boost, progressive with IDC %
- Triggered by IDC, progressive with boost
- Triggered by Boost, progressive with boost
- Triggered by IDC, progressive with 70% IDC and 30% boost
- Triggered by Boost, progressive with 70% IDC and 30% boost.
etc , etc

4. The failsafe can be disabled if you want to run race only fuel when system is turned off

I believe tracking IDC% to mter meth flow is the most accurate and reliable way to represent true engine load,. This is because fuel flow is the results of thousands of engineering hours tweaking the fuel table based signals from multiple sensors. In fact all sensors. Tracking boost will only be progressive in a single dimension, regardless you are at 2000 or 7000RPM and gear positions. So, if you wish the system to track boost, you can. But I recommend trying the IDC first.

On the HFS3-v2/bracket purchase front. You can purchase it anytime along with the bumper bracket from Jeff Howerton, he has them in stock just hasn't got round promoting them yet.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:42 PM

I agree - IDC instead of boost is much better to use....however, where do I wire the IDC input from on my 335i?
Old 27-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Here is the generic wiring diagram for the 335i

Old 27-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Excellent Richard! Just what was needed. Thanks.

I prefer to use your option 3a for controlling progressive meth flow:
"3. The system can be configured to work as follows:
- Triggered by IDC, progressive with IDC %"

I read the manual on the web site:
http://howertonengineering.com/manuals/
However, I do not see (may have missed it) where the user can pick this option of progressive with IDC%?
Old 28-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The HFS-3 system is already set to triggered and progressive with IDC from factory.

The second jumper link (from left) is labelled as IDC (default). If you want the system to be triggered by boost. Move the jumper link to "MPS" (manifold pressure sensor).

Slightly further towards the right, The system can be set to either "progressive spray" or "on/off". Factiory default is set to prorgressive (PWM).

The system can also configured to communucate with the any piggybacks' failsafe, based on actual flow.

Does you have good logging capability with Cobb?
Old 28-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Yes, I've got real good logging capability with Cobb.
Yesterday afternoon I emailed Howerton engineering about the current status of the N54 testing and if I purchase an HFS3-v2 now (w/bumper bracket) could I upgrade/update it later when they finished the N54 testing. I'm sure they will respond soon.

I'm ready to move forward with this and use the IDC % as the injection trigger and to be progressive with IDC%.

Last edited by maxman; 28-09-2011 at 02:58 PM.