waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 30-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Default Out of winterstorage: gauge is not showing spray bars

Hi guys,

I installed my HFS4 in my BMW N54 application in october 2017. In december i had it successfully tuned in Germany (see my other post). As i was on wintertires, i haven't bothered turning on the aquamist system (just using the gauge switch) since the return from the tuner.

A few days ago i put on my summer tires and of course wanted to test my meth system again, getting ready for some drag racing. However, during a few pulls (about 6), the spray bars on the gauge are NOT lighting up.

I have the failsafe disabled/bypassed with the dipswitch and my tune does not need meth; so i'm still safe, but of course i don't understand why, without touching anything, within 90 days, the system is not working.

I would like some help with the quick checks, this is what i can come up with and what i have verified:

(1) When turning on the system, i'm not sure if the pump makes noise (is even on), i'm going to check that soon.

(2) During my runs, i heard noise from the pump that sounded like a spray / push sounds, it made me think pump is actually on and working or is there another valve making this noise ?

(3) I thought that the 6 pulls would prime the system, i can imagine that due to 90 days of no use some air would get into the system, buy my tank stayed half full, so we can rule out not priming it long enough, or am i wrong ?

(4) Of course i checked the lines, i saw no leakage, didn't smell anything and checked the actualy flow sensor at the FAV; it seemed to be just fine.

My main issue is that all is now in meth and it's quite toxic and flammable, so i want my next tests to be simple and without too much danger; so i'm thinking of taking off the line just after the FAV and do a tiny pull idling to see something comes out....

Any feedback is welcome, i'll keep you posted.

Jeroen
Old 31-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Out of winterstorage: gauge is not showing spray bars

take off the hose after the FAV to jet, activate the system with SYS, let me know if there is any fluid coming out of the FAV.
Old 31-03-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanks Richard, that's the plan, i need a place to work, so i will take a couple of days...
Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Okay, i was able to do some tests:

We disconnected the line downstream from the fav, to see if the pump+fav is working.

I pulled the FAV jumper and put it on SYS (in pre crank ignition). You can clearly hear the pump trying to push, but nothing came out.
We did notice that the line was trembeling and the line upstram of the fav was definitely under pressure.

I am driving with the FSD on, i don't use the failsafe setup, because i'm running a non meth tune on 23 PSI and i'm afraid to trigger the failsafe if the unit is off.

driving test:
The gauge itself lights up as expected, showing the blue "S" and the blue "B".
However, i've seen under load while driving that the orange "water level" LED also lights up (not the water injection led, that stays off). It's fully on, not blinking or anything.
The light goes off when my foot is off the throttle again.

To double check we checked the controller itself; when SYS is activated the "95%" led is on and the green ornage "THRES" is on as well. This is when the engine is not running (pre crank). I checked the connections specifically the one for the FAV, it's plugged in just fine. Again, i installed the unit in november and only used it during tuning in december 2017. Since then, i have not touched it (winter tires, snow, rain, etc).

So we think the issue lies with the FAV unit.
I will send you also an email Richard, i hope i'm still in warranty !

Any thoughts are welcome !

Regards,
Jeroen
Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Apply a 12V signal to the FAV whilst on SYS mode. If it doesn't open, it will be faulty.

Warranty claim require you sending the FAV back to me. If we have found the seal is swollen due to hydrocarbon contamination, it will not be under warranty. For a simple reason, a replacement valve can suffer the same again and again. It is important we find the reason for the breakdown.

However we will repair it for you. We never charge for repairs.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Hi Richard, perhaps a silly question, i could just cut the wire and apply the 12V, or can i send the signal via the plug that goes into the controller ?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:21 PM

I'm not really looking forward to rerouting the FAV signal cable, it's a struggle to route it via the ECU compartment, firewall back into glove box... While cutting and soldering is seriously easier
Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

You can unplug the cable on the FAV end. No need to cut anything.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Good i asked
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I think sending the FAV back to me is simpler. Assuming the chance of a faulty FAV cable is rare.
Do not cut any cable