waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 30-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Default pump stuck in priming mode?

I was doing some work on my car last week and and had to disconnect the tubing for my 2d system from the windsheild washer fluid resevoir to remove some parts. However, after installing everything and reconnecting the tubing my pump seems to be stuck in priming mode now. I can see there is fluid making it to the pump, but the pump just seems to run and run and never shut off until i hit my kill switch. I unfortunately paid a shop to do the whole aquamist install for me and as part of that i never got a manual or anything explaining how to maintain this kit.

So question is... has my pump suddenly gone bad on me or what can i do to get it to work so it stops priming? How long do i need to let it try priming before i shut it off? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The pump should not be in priming mode for more than a ferw seconds unless it is spraying. The system has to be purged and primung once unless air is being sucked into the system due to low tank level.

Where are you located?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 AM

i'm in california. i was able to get the pump to stop priming once i forced (with pressure) water into it. However, after that the first time the pump tried to activate it went into priming mode again and won't stop. I'm thinking it doesn't have enough force to pull the water into it any more unless there is a special purge process of which i'm not aware. there's plenty of water in the tank so that shouldn't be causing the problem. well, i can say i've left it on to prime for at least 30-45 seconds so i hope i haven't extinguished the last bit of hope to get it working again. Worst case scenario, how feasible is it to get an upgraded pump in there? Hopefully one that has a little more pulling force.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Intereting conditions.

I have a few question that you can help me with:

1) where is the pump located in relationship to the battery?
2) where is the pump located in relationship to the water tank?
3) The serial number of the pump (bottom of pump)

I can see couple of possible causes:
4) too long intake hose
5) too long power line between pump and battery (low voltage)
6) Priming valve is swollen
7) Piston spring is broken.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM

1) same side of the car as the battery and just below it. Maybe about half a meter of wire length away at most
2) it's on the opposite side of the car (tank located front/left and pump front/right). the tubing runs along the bottom of the front fender about 1.5 meters away
3) 9918658

By the way, i appreciate the help. The setup was working before but since removing the tubing and reconnecting it i haven't been able to get it going again. So it sounds like maybe number 6 or 7 from your list unless my battery is about to die. How much is a new pump and do you by chance offer any upgraded ones that would work with my kit?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

There is another possible reason for this to happen, the pump internal is dry.

Try injecting water into the pump with a 20cc syringe. Once the internal of the pump is primed with water, it will start pump ing agianpump
Old 10-11-2009, 05:57 PM

I was actually thinking something like this may be the problem as i don't think my pump is really broken. I tried searching but can you explain exactly where in to the pump i need to inject the water with a syringe? Is it in the main water inlet where the tubing connects or is there some other special location? Also is there any way for me to trigger the pump to run without actually driving the car? I'd like to save myself the time of removing and replacing the front bumper assembly everytime i work on this if possible. thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

You must inject water on the inlet side. Ensure the pump outlet is free.

On the 2d, all you need to activate the pump is pull off any one of the two terminals from the 806-162 pressure switch. (engine running)
Old 16-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks Richard. A little priming was all it took and with your help my pump is now working again.

Just for anyone else who may stumble upon this thread...I used one of those blue ear syringes to inject the water. I also removed the outlet hose so i could actually push the water in through the inlet and let it run out the other side just to make sure it was thoroughly wetted inside. after reconnecting the outlet and then the inlet hoses the pump primed without a problem.