waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Running two jets

Hi,

does anybody know if I can run two jets off one pump (1s system). I want to acheive 350-400cc/min and thought tee-ing the pipe after the pump and running a 0.4 and a 0.5mm jet together would give better atomisation than a 1.0mm. This should still kepp me above the 0.3 bar at each jet necessary for things to work properly. The jets will be fitted just after the intercooler and I run 1.35 bar peak boost.

Thanks, Huw.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Howerton Engineering

The difference in atomization between a .4 + .5 and a 1.0 is negligible. A 1.0 jet will flow about 330cc on that pump, and that is about the limit. A .4 + .5 will spray about the same, 330cc. If you want more than 330cc, I would suggest a WW pump to prime the 1s pump. You will need to perform some flow tests into a container to see what your actual flow rate is after the additional pump is added to decide what jetting you will need to get you where you want to be. If you drop the pressure too much by jetting bigger without the priming pump that is when atomization my suffer.
Old 28-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Running two jets

Thanks for that and apologies for returning to this thread so late! I have a pretty poor spray pattern with the 1.0mm jet but this may be due an air leak somewhere - I have bubbles appearing in the 4mm line after the pump. The last time this happened I replaced the 6mm elbow on the 1s pump inlet and that cured it - a leak at the quick-connect?

My pump also seems to be faulty at the moment too - a few days ago it was "buzzing" but not flowing at all. I decided it may have jammed so gently tapped it with a small hammer and that got it going again but intermittently.

I may rethink my install as the pump is above the lowest level of the methanol tank by about 0.4m (pump and level of methanol are at the same height when the tank is full). I also wonder if compression fittings may be the answer to my leaks - I realise methanol is probably not my friend here.

Finally - is there is a significant improvement in pump capability as regards flow/pressure at jet with the newer kits? I think the 1s kit is no longer current and the HFS kits have bigger pumps?

Thanks, Huw.
2002 Volvo V70 T5 SE, MTE custom tune, Owen Developments 19t - ported/polished/Garrett wheels, Ferrita turbo back, 470cc injectors, ported exhaust manifold, Koni FSD shocks, Eibach Prokit springs, IPD sway bars, strut brace, Aquamist 1s methanol injection.
Old 28-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Running two jets

Yes, methanol can shrink the o-rings in the quick-connect fittings. The new HFS kits are all compression fittings.

The new HFS kits are all capable of 1600cc of flow. We can tailor this to smaller requirements with custom FAV unit and other items.

If your ERL pump is newer, there maybe spares at the factory for a rebuild. Due to the expense of parts and building the race pumps, other than what is on hand, they are not built or re-built anymore.

It is unfortunate, but if the the ERL pump is still working, it can fetch a good price on the used market which can offset much of the price of an HFS-2, which has much more capability than the 1s system.