waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 12-11-2004, 07:34 PM

Holding 1 bar with uprated FMIC is not really W.I. territory in my opinion.
You're not getting ridiculous charge temps after the IC, so the cooling function of the water is limited.

Now if you were holding 20+psi, I understand...

I wouldn't trigger the WI before 14psi, as it would bog the engine down, especially now in the winter.

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
You're not getting ridiculous charge temps after the IC, so the cooling function of the water is limited.

I wouldn't trigger the WI before 14psi, as it would bog the engine down, especially now in the winter.
It would appear that i left it a bit late in the year to set up :sad:

Should be fine for next summer, part of my plan was to get WI installed before i get the software RR remapped, i going to try and persaude the tuner to increase the boost map to take into account of the WI. Have to put failsafes in place to disable boost if water is low or WI switched off.

Not sure how to do that with the zlet though. Any ideas :?: Seen the circuitry on this forum, but im not sure how to disable boost electronically.
Old 13-11-2004, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelf
..Not sure how to do that with the zlet though. Any ideas :?: Seen the circuitry on this forum, but im not sure how to disable boost electronically.
I would expect the idle state of the amal valve to be directing all boost to the actuator (easy to check if you undo the pipes and blow air through it)
So if you interrupt the electric signal to the valve, that should bring it down to 'idle', giving boost as low as possible (electronically)

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 13-11-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelf
..Not sure how to do that with the zlet though. Any ideas :?: Seen the circuitry on this forum, but im not sure how to disable boost electronically.
I would expect the idle state of the amal valve to be directing all boost to the actuator (easy to check if you undo the pipes and blow air through it)
So if you interrupt the electric signal to the valve, that should bring it down to 'idle', giving boost as low as possible (electronically)
Thanks i'll see if i can do that

Got some results last night, ambient temps were down to 7 C though, but recorded data at 2 samples per second. Post them on Monday

Quote:

I agree, I think the results show that my intercooler is doing a pretty good job on its own, typically drops of 60 degrees C. Injecting before the turbo with the IC in place just reduces the IC eficiency substancially.

Several options available

Increase boost/remove precat - planning to

Switch off WI for the winter months - if i cant increase boost

Remove the IC and record temps at the turbo exit and throttle with WI only - improved turbo efficiency and less pressure losses

Position jet directly after IC and as far back from the throttle as possible - Oh isnt that where aquamist say to position the jet :lol:
Old 13-11-2004, 01:21 PM

Presently my Astras putting out 230 bhp, pretty tame compared to some of these zlet engines

http://www.zlet.co.uk/zlet%20rr%202.htm
Old 16-11-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Interesting result

What do peeps think of this graph.

Considerably lower Turbo exit temps, similar IC exit and lower throttle temps than without water injection

Without considerable compromise of the IC efficiency

Mystery set up

Journey Out

Sampled at 2 x second

Have more graphs to post, but this one gave an interesting result. I will reveal all, but would be interested to see what set up everyone thinks gave this result
Old 16-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The logged charts are fascinating to read great work, keep it coming.

The earlier ones were not as easy to read as the samples was done in longer intervals.

The latest one are great! I am still trying to absorb it all.

Did you put the water jet in front of the IC?
Old 17-11-2004, 11:10 AM

I took on board what JohA had said about injecting at the highest possible boost trigger point. After i repeated all the previous set ups i had tried at 2 x second, i decided to stick with the 0.4 and 0.5 jets and record temps with trigger points starting low 4psi and then 7,10,13,14and 15 psi.
Old 28-11-2004, 03:52 PM

In reading the results it would be very helpful if you could chart boost on the right hand y axis. Some way to see where on the graphs that WI is taking place.