waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 20-05-2014, 10:05 PM

Default 2005 Ion Redline build/install

As of now, I am not quite to the installation. I am starting this as a motivation to get things going.

The Car
2005 Saturn Ion Redline Competition Package (Ladder tach/boost gauge, fogs, LSD, gunmetal 17's)
Mods
Bwoody Solid Mounts - to be replaced with Powell Race Parts mounts and an LNF(newer version of engine) mount
Header back exhaust minus kitty. 24" resonator and rear box/muffler. Loud
Engine mods
42 lb injectors
2.9 pulley (3.0 just in case)
K&N Typhoon Intake
Hurst short shifter

Plan for the car
My thoughts were to tune the car for 87 oct., and allow the water methanol to make up the extra octane. I've also considered 80Lb injectors with E85 and injecting mainly water, like 13%meth. Car is a daily driver, and I only really get to full boost about 1 time a week.

Part gathering
Over the winter I picked up alot of these
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...reeze/19232346
6 of these
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...l-Kit/33694255
A Cobalt SS (Redline's cousin) washer tank
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321395161584...84.m1423.l2649

It will install on the passenger's side, leaving the stock tank unmolested. it came with the pump and about a foot of pigtail/wiring. The pump outlet tubing is 5mm, but will accept 6mm tubing.

From documentation, the inline filter that aquamist has doesn't do well with pressure (feel free to correct me), so i will use my AEM inline filter
with 6mm to 1/4 NPT fittings from Ebay seller MettleAir. If I can get the pump in the bumper area it will go there, otherwise the filter will fit into the headlight area with the pump mounted to the passengers side of the engine bay.

I will use a modified OTTP LSJ Throttle Body spacer

Modified because there is too much thread for good atomization for the nozzles in the current location.

I might also install a SC to intake manifold spacer for post SC spray, as it is only $50, and would help with belt sizing issues.

The hard part
I went Aquamist because I wanted to tune for the kit. The issue I have is that I only have two choices for use of the failsafe.

1. Allow the computer to normally control boost when the Aquamist kit is on. When it is turned off or encounters an issue, it will send full power to the bypass valve which will cut all boost and the car will run NA.

2. When the kit is turned on, the boost bypass is turned off, meaning the plate is fully open, and the ECU cannot control boost at all. When the kit is off or encounters an issue, it will allow the ECU to control boost again.

Honestly, neither is what one would hope for.
Old 20-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: 2005 Ion Redline build/install

I hope you can continue the posting. We do offer an inline high pressure filter that has much less resistance than the AEM's.

Try blowing through it and let me know what you think.
Old 21-05-2014, 12:37 AM

Due in most part I think to surface area I think the AEM flows better than the Aquamist piece I have. I think the primer pump would be enough to negate it either way. I would be remiss however to not cry "links" when you mention a product I haven't seen before.

I started with a Purolator F20011

The 1/4" tubing would fit very snug inside. When the shurflo got too old to pump from the rear of the car I stepped up to 3/8" OD hose with fittings on tank, AEM filter, and pump.
Old 21-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Surface area is one factor but micron size has more effect on restriction. What is the micron size of the AEM filter?

Blow thought it... the AEM and aquamist

You are showing what look like a paper element filter?
Old 22-05-2014, 01:21 AM

According to http://www.summitracing.com/parts/av...qazBWNYWfD_BwE

It's 40 micron nominal

And yes, that is a paper element. No issues that I could find with it coming apart.
Old 22-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Do update.

On the aquamist systems, we use 100-120 micron elements as any particle smaller will go straight through the system. This also helps with flow and clogging up the element.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:23 PM

The nozzles I was using at the time had 80 micron nominal rating, and the filter was both easier to get to and had more surface area than the nozzles.

Where's the link to the inline filter?

Last edited by Dust; 22-05-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Sorry, here is the link:
http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-2...-130um-filter/
Old 27-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Found a decent deal on a Howerton 2 gallon tank with pump/wiring, hose and DO nozzle/holder. Extra parts and a good tank setup. Considering trunk mount.

I also ran a tap through the aem fiter so the fittings I bought would mount snug. That and the gun stock mods I did over the weekend have me coughing up black plastic. Need to vacuum badly. Hoping to get a keyless entry installed in the next few weeks, and have the company doing that tap and run the necessary wires for the kit connections. There is an empty cubby under the steering wheel, and another empty area under the HVAC, but without access that I can find, that I am looking at for mounting the brain. Will also be ordering a 2 or 3 gauge pod. Looking at an A-pillar, or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2007-Sa...item3ce2097e22

Last edited by Dust; 27-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 PM

I am very much considering picking up the Howerton Engineering tank, pump etc for an HFS-4 in the trunk, until I figure out the washer tank situation.
The engine and transmission mounts are finally on their way after 6 months and 3 days of back and forth.