waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 21-08-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Rover 2.0 TDi

I have a Rover 420 with the 4 cylinder direct injection turbo, non intercooled motor, mechanical fuel injection. I'm interested in water injection for economy purposes, but any gain in performance wouldn't be sniffed at. Is it a worthwhile mod for my car?

cheers,

DD.
Old 22-08-2004, 02:08 PM

The power increase will definately be there, but you will be trading one fuel for another. Methanol is another fuel cost that has to be factored in.

Do you know how much boost your rover peaks at?

What kind of driving terrain do you have to deal with?

02 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, 3:54, 4x4, AFE Intake, US-Gear SD E-brake, PIF-EZ, PIF-Snow Performance W/M injection, Stage II fuel injectors

Will work for a hybrid turbo!
Old 25-08-2004, 09:52 PM

thanks for replying sticks,

as standard, it runs a mighty 86bhp. However, the fuelling has been re metered, the boost has been wound up the 19psi peak (though I rarely welly it that hard) and it has a mod to the AMM. in all, an estimated 95-100bhp. The fuel system has also been modded to run on waste vegetable oil, but the motor itself is untouched.
I do 30 miles each way to work. because of difficuluties with traffic i tend to go there cross country which as a lot of up & down through the gears driving. coming home it's late & I come back on the motorway at a steady 60mph, although occasional thrust for overtaking is desireable here.

cheers,

DD.
Old 25-08-2004, 11:05 PM

If you richen things up and cool things down a bit with water injection then your fuel economy should go up. 19psi sounds like alot without an intercooler, so I'd bet that water/methanol injection would give you quite a bit more power.
Old 26-08-2004, 05:33 AM

Just speaking of the system that I have (Snow Performance) I would go with a stage 1 kit and two 375ml nozzles, and the variable controller set for 50% at 8psi, and 100% at 14psi. Running a 50/50 mix should net you an additional 50 - 65 hp, 100+ lbs of torque and cool your EGT's slightly, plenty of power when you mash the throttle for the trip home.

For setting up for mountain driving, or towing, I would get the stage 2 controller (has a higher 50% set pressure) and go with a 12.5% mix of meth to water. Just enough to keep it from freezing in the winter, yet plenty of water to keep the EGT's down and the power up.

Even on my truck running at 75mph on the highway, I only hold about 7# of boost (I peak at 40#'s) so setting anything up for normal low boost driving is delicate. Really easy to flood the cylinders and quench the combustion.

02 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, 3:54, 4x4, AFE Intake, US-Gear SD E-brake, PIF-EZ, PIF-Snow Performance W/M injection, Stage II fuel injectors

Will work for a hybrid turbo!