waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 23-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Default DIY WI

Is it feasible to utilise a fuel injection inline pump - running at 5.2 - 5.9 Bar ( Bosch K-Jet system for example) for WI? They should be cheap as chips from a scrappy and if it wears out in 6-12 months (and it probably will) I can just get a new one. The control unit, water level sensing, boost switching and possible 2 stage jetting is easy for me to sort out (once I figure out the sizes of jets to use), but I'm wondering if the system would still work with a fuel pump? The system is for a 306 Turbo Diesel which will eventually be running about 18-20 PSI of boost and I'm looking to cobble up an equivalent to the 1S system, but with water level sensing and boost cutting (back to 14-15PSI) in the event of water outages.

PS. The system will be running 12.5% meth/water max (as recommended for diesel by Richard L), would the pump handle this?

Thanks

Andy

There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Old 24-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: DIY WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-dubster
Is it feasible to utilise a fuel injection inline pump - running at 5.2 - 5.9 Bar ( Bosch K-Jet system for example) for WI? They should be cheap as chips from a scrappy and if it wears out in 6-12 months (and it probably will) I can just get a new one. The control unit, water level sensing, boost switching and possible 2 stage jetting is easy for me to sort out (once I figure out the sizes of jets to use), but I'm wondering if the system would still work with a fuel pump? The system is for a 306 Turbo Diesel which will eventually be running about 18-20 PSI of boost and I'm looking to cobble up an equivalent to the 1S system, but with water level sensing and boost cutting (back to 14-15PSI) in the event of water outages.

PS. The system will be running 12.5% meth/water max (as recommended for diesel by Richard L), would the pump handle this?

Thanks

Andy
I wouldn't recommend you to use a fuel pump for water or water/methanol mix. One part inside the fuel pump is a motor, made up with iron. The water will attack the iron and form rust. I also think the bearings are iron based.

YOu can get yourself a shourflo or flojet pump, they are relatively low cost.
Old 24-05-2005, 10:12 AM

Cheers for the gen Richard

Good point - well presented, rusting pumps may fail a bit too quick! :lol: Have to check out the shurflo and flojet pumps, if I can't find suppliers and costs you just know I'll be coming right back here to hassle you again!

Ta for now

Andy

Edit.

Found some suppliers
Flojet 2130-112 (5.9 Bar 12v dc) ?130 +carriage & vat (http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/)
Flojet 100psi ?118 + carriage & vat
Aquatec 90psi ?95 + carriage & vat (both from http://www.reachandclean.co.uk/water_pumps.htm window washers!!)

Still searching for Shurflo though

Andy

Old 25-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Well, it is official.

I produce the mixture Water Methanol 50/50 in Italy for all clients that are in need... :lol: expecially the turbo diesel car with Aquamist!!! :lol:

Regards. Daniele
Old 25-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-dubster
Cheers for the gen Richard

Good point - well presented, rusting pumps may fail a bit too quick! :lol: Have to check out the shurflo and flojet pumps, if I can't find suppliers and costs you just know I'll be coming right back here to hassle you again!

Ta for now

Andy

Edit.

Found some suppliers
Flojet 2130-112 (5.9 Bar 12v dc) ?130 +carriage & vat (http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/)
Flojet 100psi ?118 + carriage & vat
Aquatec 90psi ?95 + carriage & vat (both from http://www.reachandclean.co.uk/water_pumps.htm window washers!!)

Still searching for Shurflo though

Andy
Try www.shurflo.com or 01293 424050
Old 26-05-2005, 07:56 AM

Cheers Richard, you are the oracle . I should have guessed the site URL for Shurflo though ops: :lol: ..............ah, I remember why I hadn't tried that site yet, the content won't display on our work computers, bugger - best I try at home instead - what am I going to do at work all day now :? ??

(Nobody need answer that.............. :lol: )

Old 26-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Hi dub... came here sorry for last night but it was 1 year i was blaming to get in the forum and just last night I was able to

Well about the pressure... it depends on which engine are you working on.
Old 26-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Don't apologise, it's me who hi-jacked the thread, not you.

The engine is a 1.9 Ltr turbo diesel in a peugeot 306
It currently runs 14 PSI of boost, but will be wound up to 18-20 PSI for the Water injection.

I'm trying to keep the cost down as nearly ?400 for a system is way too much - the cheapest 100 PSI pumps I can find are about ?150

If you can run an effective system at lower pressure I can sort out a cheaper pump.

Building a simple control system is quite easy too.

Is this enough information for you?

Old 27-05-2005, 05:55 PM

I work in bars... but I think that this is a common trouble to every diesel engine.. I think you're talking about 0.9 Bar... aren't you?

WI is currently working only when the boost is on.
Be lower than boost pressure is impossible... even 18 - 20 PSI of WI boost is too little... at least 3 or 4 times the Turbo boost pressure, probably even more. Need to "atomize" the water in something that seems gas.

I'm sorry but I don't know UK prices... I live in Italy... :sad:
Old 28-05-2005, 07:36 PM

1 Bar = 14.50377 PSI so yes, 14 PSI is about 0.95 Bar

The boost is to be raised to around 1.3 or 1.4 Bar, so the pump needs to be 4.1 - 5.5 Bar (60-80PSI)

It seems like I still need an good pump, but at least the 4-5 Bar pumps are cheaper than the 7 Bar ones (around 100PSI)

Do you use a similar setup to the aquamist system '1S', just a pump, nozzle and boost switch - only pumping water when the boost is on (accelerating) with a fixed output (not changed to match fuel) and how do you get away with using 50/50 methanol to water if you still pump at 4-5 Bar when the aquamist pumps at 6 Bar and must use less than 20% meth to stop detonation?

Grazie per la vostra assistenza

(If that makes no sense then I had better keep to English :lol: )

the-dubster

And there is no reason to be :sad: when you live in Italy